• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Painted coins"

4 posts in this topic

It seems that more and more, countries are issuing coins that are multi-colored with illustrations, paintings and the like on them. Just curious, how are these coins made, and since many are legal tender, has anyone ever seen any that have been circulated? How well do the coins retain the "painting" or colors after being in circulation? I don't understand the whole minting process of these multi-colored coins. Can someone educate me?

Many thanks.

RI AL

Most just have a piece of painted (printed) film applied to the surfaces after the coin is struck. This film would wear off extremely quickly if the coin actually circulated.

I believe Canada has a circulating 25c with color, but I have no idea how they applied that color.

I know that the statehood qtrs are painted by a baked on enamel. I know it will wear after a while but this process is pretty tough.