• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those who would like a good look at what a whizzed coin looks like...

42 posts in this topic

The term "whizzed" is sometimes improperly used with respect to a coin which has merely been cleaned. However, if you look at the images in the Ebay listing below, you will get a really good look at what a whizzed coin looks like. If you enlarge the images toward the bottom of the listing you will get an eye-full (or two).

See here

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's a classic! I've seen much better jobs of whizzing, but this one clearly shows what things to look for.

Gee whiz.

At least "SNGA" certifies it is authentic. :insane:

I wonder how the seller will explain the different angled lines on the obverse. Die polish lines?

That’s pretty “horrific” for a MS-66, in this case MS stands for Messed State run over on Route 66…can anyone tell me what that blue blob is in the lower left hand corner?

I wonder why the seller does not mention this anywhere on the ad .....and what is all that retalitory stuff about not being allowed to leave negative feedback? lol

That’s pretty “horrific” for a MS-66, in this case MS stands for Messed State run over on Route 66…can anyone tell me what that blue blob is in the lower left hand corner?
Actually, it's horrific that the seller, whom I believe to be a self-slabber, didn't describe it as whizzed and assigned a mint state grade to the coin.

…can anyone tell me what that blue blob is in the lower left hand corner?

I think he was printing 1,000 of those MS66 labels on an old printing press, and he splattered some of the light blue ink on the table nearby where he kept the "certified" slabs. He probably decided to leave it there because it made him think of the CAC sticker. Now, if anyone asks, he will tell them that the star-shaped blob on the slab means that the coin has been examined and it is good for the grade.

Chris

If he were at least honest and said its whizzed, would be a great example coin to have for a coin club. May be worth $100 or something to someone who wants it for edumacation purposes.

Actually, it's horrific that the seller, whom I believe to be a self-slabber, didn't describe it as whizzed and assigned a mint state grade to the coin.

What makes you think the coin is not mint state?

…can anyone tell me what that blue blob is in the lower left hand corner?

I think he was printing 1,000 of those MS66 labels on an old printing press, and he splattered some of the light blue ink on the table nearby where he kept the "certified" slabs. He probably decided to leave it there because it made him think of the CAC sticker. Now, if anyone asks, he will tell them that the star-shaped blob on the slab means that the coin has been examined and it is good for the grade.

Chris

:signfunny:

I believe he's trying to cover up the generic slab's name with his artistic flowers... :acclaim:

I think the blue blob is to cover up the Coin World logo on the slabs. This was mentioned ATS on other coins by this seller.

It's a shame, some people will ruin a coin for a quick buck.

JJ

And sell a ruined coin for a quick buck to the unknowledgeable!!

Mark, thanks for the lesson. I think he was stripping paint with a wire wheel and this coin got in the way. I have seen too many coins. that are self slabbed that look that bad. I hope many more see your post, it is an education. John

Well, since I have observed this auction, someone has asked the finite question:

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: Hi, I saw your auction for a 1843-O half dollar. Since I am not familiar with the grading service, has the coin be cleaned, whizzed or molested in any way? What grade do you think the coin is? Thanks Jul-21-08

A: I believe the coin has a one time been cleaned and I would grade the coin myself at an AU58 to MS60. Thank you for your interest, Ed

This guy is a eBay "Power Seller" with a 99.8% feedback! I reported the whizzed coin to eBay. I don't know how people like him can sleep at night.

Well, since I have observed this auction, someone has asked the finite question:

Q: Hi, I saw your auction for a 1843-O half dollar. Since I am not familiar with the grading service, has the coin be cleaned, whizzed or molested in any way? What grade do you think the coin is? Thanks Jul-21-08

A: I believe the coin has a one time been cleaned and I would grade the coin myself at an AU58 to MS60. Thank you for your interest, Ed

But he neglected to mention that (and I can only make an educated guess here) he likely slabbed it himself as an MS66. Also, I believe he originally bought in a holder that indicated it had been whizzed and had a net grade of XF.

But he neglected to mention that (and I can only make an educated guess here) he likely slabbed it himself as an MS66. Also, I believe he originally bought in a holder that indicated it had been whizzed and had a net grade of XF.
hmSNGAScam1.jpgPic courtesy of Tyler1924S ATS