• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it that.......

16 posts in this topic

When you have a solid chunk of money to spend....you can not find one single coin that fits your collecting interest at that moment...I mean you search every major dealers inventory, heritage, ebay.....for days on end.... :frustrated:

and when you are flat broke......the stars align and their are dozens of coins in your normal price range that would make great additions to you collection :censored:

I have spent two days searching for just the right coin or coins to add to my collection and I am striking out at every turn. Some of this may be because I don't know what the heck I want but....I will know it when I see it lol

Does this ever happen to anyone else? hm

It's funny how things work around my house. If there is a lot of money in the checking the wife has the check book. When it's empty she gives it to me.:)

I think it works that way all the time. The want is always there when no funds are available, but when the funds are there, you can't never decide what you want or find what you want.

When you have a solid chunk of money to spend....you can not find one single coin that fits your collecting interest at that moment...I mean you search every major dealers inventory, heritage, ebay.....for days on end.... :frustrated:

and when you are flat broke......the stars align and their are dozens of coins in your normal price range that would make great additions to you collection :censored:

I have spent two days searching for just the right coin or coins to add to my collection and I am striking out at every turn. Some of this may be because I don't know what the heck I want but....I will know it when I see it lol

Shane, if a mere 2 day search is making you crazy, I suggest you spend part of your money on a course or shrink that teaches PATIENCE! :D

;)

Shane, if a mere 2 day search is making you crazy, I suggest you spend part of your money on a course or shrink that teaches PATIENCE! :D

;)

I am a very reactive spender so yes....money burns a hole in my pocket :frustrated:

When I want a car, I buy it.....when I wanted my Harley....I went out and bought it the same day......when my kids want a puppy...they get it the same day.......

if there is an OCD for spending money....I have it bad lol

It's funny how things work around my house. If there is a lot of money in the checking the wife has the check book. When it's empty she gives it to me.:)

That is to be expected because she has had years of practice leaving the gas tank empty on the car.

Chris

;)

I am a very reactive spender so yes....money burns a hole in my pocket :frustrated:

When I want a car, I buy it.....when I wanted my Harley....I went out and bought it the same day......when my kids want a puppy...they get it the same day.......

if there is an OCD for spending money....I have it bad lol

Shane, here is a suggestion!

Try to work out an arrangement with your closest (coin-collecting) friend. You stay "broke" half of the year, and when you see a coin that you want, he (or she) can buy it for you. Your friend can stay broke the other half of the year, and when he sees a coin that he wants, you can buy it for him. The overall result is that you average being broke every other day which is perfect for your "2-day" window.

Chris

Shane----- Mark's advice for "patience" is well founded. I've voiced that comment many times myself.

But, in today's times, we find a society where instant gratification is almost a must.

If the current economic situations do happen to get worse, a forced sense of patience may be forced upon a lot of folks.

Waiting is indeed a hard thing to do---if the money is burning a hole in one's pocket. For me, I've been waiting on a couple of Walkers for what seems like an eternity now. Just can't seem to run across what I want. But, over years, you do tend to teach yourself not to spend it all---because, as soon as you do, there will be a coin that you want out there---with you having nothing but your good looks to buy it with.

I tend to sell a few coins when the buying gets tough. It keeps you into things----it builds up your money reserves---it allows for a certain culling that isn't all bad. That way, when the coin does arrive, you are ready to jump on it with both feet. I think there is a great deal of satisfaction in this approach. You put a smile on your face when you know that you did good. Good things come to those who wait---an old but true saying. Bob [supertooth]

Yes, this is a common occurrence, but what I’ve found out over the years is that when frustration like this sets in, I tend to buy some modern like Mint Sets or Proof Sets, just to fill in the gaps, wet my thirst so to speak, until something better comes along.

You can always dump these sets back onto the market, maybe even for a small premium (or mostly to break even) to convert these assets back into real buying power. If I hold onto money for future collector purchases, it always seems to somehow end up in the house hold budget for those “variables” that spring up and is very hard to recover those specific losses.

Make time work for you…think positive and don’t “impulse buy”

You will suffer buyers remorse when you see “the one”

I’ve worn the “Kick Me!” sign many times before.

Good luck...it will come.

It always seems to happen this way for me as well. However, if I do see a coin I want and can't afford at the moment, I'll ask the seller to hold it for me for a while, or ask about paying in installments.

hm Well, I don't have this problem very often. Many of the sets I'm building have the coins pretty out there and available or I haven't reached the really hard parts of the set yet. Coins are harder to find for some of the sets I'm helping my step-father build, but when I find one I pretty much just have to ask and I get the money.