• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical question! Coins and Camping - a recipe for disaster?

17 posts in this topic

Assuming you had no concerns about security, let's say you made plans with your wife (or husband or boyfriend or girlfriend or whatever) to haul out the RV for a long weekend camping trip (3 days). You'll be out in the middle of nowhere, and there will be no TV, and AM radio at best. Would you bring coins along? Would your significant other allow you to?

What are the dangers in this scnenario :o !

This is strictly hypothetical for me - I can't afford anything more than a couple of poles and a few yards of canvas, much less an RV lol !

Assuming you had no concerns about security, let's say you made plans with your wife (or husband or boyfriend or girlfriend or whatever) to haul out the RV for a long weekend camping trip (3 days). You'll be out in the middle of nowhere, and there will be no TV, and AM radio at best. Would you bring coins along? Would your significant other allow you to?

This is strictly hypothetical for me - I can't afford anything more than a couple of poles and a few yards of canvas, much less an RV lol !

James, the largest danger, by far, as I see it, would be to bring your wife, husband and boyfriend (or girlfriend) all at the same time. ;)

No, I wouldn't bring my coins -- there are lots of fun things to do in the woods with (and to ;) ) your significant other.

Theft and humidity would be the biggest dangers, I'd guess.

Well, I would bring along a metal detector, but I'd leave the coins at home. You never know when you might run across an ursa numismatica in the woods.

Chris

You never know when you might run across an ursa numismatica in the woods.

Chris

Oh yes, the elusive "coin bear." Pretty rare around these parts.

And, to answer the question, I would leave the coins at home. Too much other stuff to do on a camping trip.

James,

Given the hypothetical scenario you present, I would most likely take coins along, (perhaps that is one reason I am now separated) (shrug) Many times, whether on business or personal trips I have taken coins to either go through and catalogue, grade and/or image. Coins, being a hobby of mine now, are relaxing to me just as reading a book on the beach is. I am at my mom's now on a little vacation and brought coins to keep me occupied. Of course regardless of the situation, I am careful about security of the coins.

I see nothing wrong with someone taking some time to enjoy something that is a large part of their life and enjoyment. I would see it no different than my Ex wanting to go shopping on a vacation trip. (more time for me to look at the coins) :devil:

Rey

I traveled with my coins once and I'll never do it again. I made the trip to NC to show my (adoptive) grandfather my set. I was worried about them the whole way, between security (e.g., at rest stops), a hot car, and all the bouncing around. I'd also disassembled my photo equipment and brought that too, in case I had a chance to photograph his stuff (I didn't, as it turns out). I finally got there with everything and sat down with him for a good two hours to look at everything. One of my airtites had vibrated loose, and the coin and capsule popped out of the card in the airtite box. I didn't properly look at the coin, and when I reached in to pick it up, I realized that only half of the capsule was still on the coin (the rest was still in the card. Unfortunately, I realized this while my big fat thumb was resting against a gem BU white coin. After freaking out, I decided it really wouldn't be so bad if I acetoned the out of the coin when I got back home, and it worked out ok - at the cost of a few days' anxiety.

Odds of me taking collectible coins camping are zero. The only way it could occur is if we were traveling and I had bought them at coin places on the trip.

Odds of me taking coin books camping, where I might have many hours of leisure to pore over arcana and expand my knowledge, are quite good.

I do not remember the whole story, but traveling with a collection does have it’s hazards. Although they were not camping, the coin dealer was returning from a weekend coin show and did not arrive at his home there on the East Coast. (I’m not sure but I think his wife was maybe with him)

Anyway, the immediate family members became worried and when they were not found by the next day, a full scale investigation was launched. There was that possibility that “foul play” was a part of their disappearance, that someone had followed them from the coin show and was part of the reason.

Anyways, they were found a few weeks later, he had driven off the road and into a lake, with coins and all and submerged out of sight. I don’t think we ever heard about the fate of the coins being submerged in water, but use your own imagination.

I understand that this is not taking coins along willingly, to say pass the time on a vacation, but traveling with any collectable can have it’s detriments.

Can anyone link or add onto this true story?

I don't like mixing coins and women. I have a gal I go once a quarter to see in Phoenix for sight seeing and fun. She wants me to move there. I had dated / seen her for a 3 year period while she was living here in Houston. She is a really fantastic gal.

I do not like the idea of risking my inventory while I am out partying if say I was taking a couple days of fun with a girl after the show. In addition women resent anything which may draw your attention (and shopping money) away from them. Be careful when your discussing coins with your GF. Better yet - avoid that subject!

Why wouldn't you leave the Coins in a Safety Deposit Box/