• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would the coins in this collection look better if they were certified?

38 posts in this topic

Yes, I think many would. I like the way many colors get highlighted in the white NGC slab.

Also, I think for basic protection they should be slabbed or at least in some sort of hard plastic case.

James, your pictures are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! A plastic tomb might help to preserve the toning. But there is something to be said for holding those raw beauties in your hand.

Greg, believe it or not, the lack of protection for these coins goes beyond that - they are not even in 2x2 flips! The coins are just lying around loose on a sheet of felt in a wooden coin cabinet, totally exposed to the surrounding air. (The felt is black.)

Check out the 1837 - it was at one time TAPED DOWN, which was the cause of the remarkable tone pattern.

Oh, and I have several more from this collection still to be imaged....

James

James,

I also think they would look much better in NGC holders against their white background. My favorite coin is the 1827. I think it is a truly stunning coin!

John

No I think they look beautiful the way they are. There are ways to protect them better then sticking them in plastic slabs. My guess some of them would end up in NCS holders anyway.

As to answering your question as it is posted---I do not think they would "LOOK BETTER" if slabbed. Slabbing serves basically two functions. 1)Authentication of grade/condition, and, 2)Protection of first function.

Your financial interests would most definitely benefit from slabbing (a beautiful and valuable group of halves!), but look better?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

David

My only compalint is that the set begins with 1801 and not 1796! wink.gif Gotta get all the bust coinage in there! tonofbricks.gif

Great pieces, and I think that they could be preserved better but would not necessarily look any better in slabs. I always like to look at the edge lettering.

Hoot

Those are some fine coins, and I especially like the toning patterns on the 1826 and 1827 (I have an 1810 and 1826 with similar toning). As or slabbing, remember, in a slab you can't see the edge, which on many Bust halves can be the most interesting side of the coin!

The answer to your question as to whether the would "look better" is not a simple as it sounds. The coins probably look their best when viewed completely raw. Each layer of clear plastic they are viewed thru will cut about 10% of their true brilliance. Where did I hear this? From none other than the late John J. Pittman at an ANA convention some years ago.

So far as presentation goes, the NGC holders are probably the best for coins of this diameter. They will look great with the white background.

In terms of marketability there is no question that they will do better if slabbed with attributions noted on the holder.

I appreciate the great comments. Here's some responses to your questions:

((( My favorite coin is the 1827. I think it is a truly stunning coin! )))

Visually, it's the most stunning coin in person too. The image is only maybe a third as nice as the coin. It's a slider au-58+, and a stellar knockout in hand!

- - - - -

((( My guess some of them would end up in NCS holders anyway. )))

OOooooh, I hope not! Every one of these coins is naturally toned - not the slightest evidence of AT. And, note the excellent surface quality of each as well. No need for conservation of any of these coins!

- - - - -

((( Your financial interests would most definitely benefit from slabbing )))

Here's where things get interesting, the financial aspects. I personally assembled this collection, and it's taken me over two years just to pick out what you see so far (plus about 5 others I haven't had time to image yet). Having kept careful records, I can tell you I paid AT LEAST FULL TRENDS for every one of these coins, uncertified. Furthermore, EVERY ONE of these coins has since been sold, and I made a profit on every coin. Let's just say, I made a HECKUVA profit on some of them - uncertified.

This is no knock against encapsulation, either. There is a time and place, and that is when the audience is maybe not up to speed on the series. For example, someone only collects Walking Liberty halves should stick to slabs, in my opinion. Such a collector is asking for trouble purchasing high-end raw bust halves.

BUT, these halves I linked for you, they are going to someone who is knowledgeable and confident in his collecting ability. He cares nothing about the actual "Grade" of each coin. His records contain a description of each coin, the price paid, and that's it. No grade!

Intriguing that this gentleman is completely put off by slabs. He has been burned numerous times in the past, and any more, with early material like large cents and bust halves, he questions the necessity of why the coin needs to be in a holder for it to sell.

Again, if you don't have the experience and savvy to collect this series as it should be collected, I recommend you stick with certified coins exclusively. But as some collectors have discovered, when you get to a point where you look past the "grade", much less the slab, collecting what you "like" takes on a whole new meaning!

- - - - -

((( My only compalint is that the set begins with 1801 and not 1796! )))

Actually, the set will eventually probably start at 1794, and in fact, there is already a 1794 and 1795 in the set. But they do not really meet the unique requirements of this collection, so I excluded them for now. There actually was an 1801 ear-marked for this set as well, one I had graded VF-20 (raw). However, I accepted an absurdly high offer of $2650 a few months ago (I did NOT really want to sell it!).... I heard it ended up in an ICG-30 holder. It was a remarkable, phenomenally original and beautiful coin, but like any poor coin dealer, the prospect of making a solid profit had to supersede everything else.

- - - - -

((( Is that part of your personal collection since they are not for sale? )))

Initially they were. However, for financial reasons, I was forced to part with the set.

Believe me, it KILLS me to have been forced to give up these coins. It took me two solid years of being very choosy to pick up those specific coins. Each one had a unique and specific reason for being in the collection.

Thankfully, they are going to a GREAT new home.

- - - - -

(((As or slabbing, remember, in a slab you can't see the edge )))

Yes, it is one more reason the new owner wants the coins to remain "au naturel"!

- - - - -

One more important thing, a "kudos" for NGC. Two of my most very favorite coins, the 1806/9 and the 1815/2, were cracked out of NGC holders, and you can tell from the images why I love them so much. Now I get to slam NGC's competition! The 1819/8 was cracked out of a PCGS MS-62 holder. It is visually the weakest of all the coins in the set, and had a milky layer of gunk on it when I bought it. After dipping, the coin is regrettably blast-white, but at least the gunk is gone. In my opinion, it grades MS-60. Basically, the coin ended up in this collection not by intent, but it's good enough for now.

OK, no more PCGS bashing, but this is the NGC forum, right! smile.gif So let's talk more coins!

James

Some of you might be interested in looking at a full-color catalog I am assembling for this collection. Here is a link to a screen-print of four of the pages.

The text is purely a description of the coin, with total disregard to "grades" or "unc" or "wear" or anything like that - just a description of the coin.

Uh, again, for those concerned about it, nothing's being offered for sale here.

Enjoy!

James

Great coins and pictures! laugh.gif

You are completely correct about raw coins. Someone who is knowledgable about a certain series does not really need a slab.

But I submit that is you are knowledgable about Walkers (as in youy example) you don't need a slab either. But you might if you go to buy a Bust Half or a gold coin and you are NOT an expert in those series.

jom

You are completely correct about raw coins. Someone who is knowledgable about a certain series does not really need a slab.

While I agree with the above statement, and I do feel that there is more of a personal connection with a raw coin than one that is in a slab, in my mind there is no better way to store and protect coins than in a modern slab, and this is from someone who has probably 90% his collection raw. Also in today’s market, coins that reside in one of the two leading grading company’s holders are much more liquid if or when the time comes to sell.

John

JAMES,

Your 1824 is also a coin I like. I would by both the 1832, 1824 from you if you would like to sell them? What is the grade on these coins? Very nice indeed.I know you said you would not sell but if the price is right I bet you would.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

I think that they would make a neat display as a raw set. In this way you might lay them out on an open-field velvet tray, set them into a cross-hatched velvet tray or put them in a Capital Plastics holder. Also, with this denomination and series, you can appreciate the edge markings much better if the coins are raw. By the way, they look beautiful together.

It was interesting to see your 1826 with a blue halo of toning on both sides as I have three 1826 halves with the same toning scheme. Mine are EF45, AU53 and AU55.

James, I luv 'em, "as is"! I would venture to say that a complete set of bust halves is one of the most incredible collections that can be assembled.

You have a great eye. Thanks for sharing. Really! thumbsup2.gif

While I agree with the above statement, and I do feel that there is more of a personal connection with a raw coin than one that is in a slab, in my mind there is no better way to store and protect coins than in a modern slab,

Then put them in Coin World holders. You get the protection benefits of slabs but they are cheaper, your coins aren't gone for weeks, you don't have to pay the high shipping fees, and since they are openable and reusable your coin can be raw again any time you want it to be then returned to its protective "slab" at no additional cost.

Nice spread, James!

I wholeheartedly agree that the correct way to collect this series at this level is au naturelle. I agree for all the reasons stated above: aesthetics, 3rd side viewing, etc.

But, you guys have overlooked the single most important reason: less painful for the "Demi Moore" sessions...

For the UNC grades, however, the financial issues come into much greater play. I know of some people who insist on cracking their choice and gem quality Busties and displaying them in the manner of their choosing a la Dorkkarl. But, that needs to be a carefully considered decision.

At this point, I think I have only TWO Turb halves. One is because I got it that way and just threw it into a drawer. The other is ex Russ Logan. I formed a 6-piece type set of Turbs in his memory, all from his collection. I had them all slabbed and asked NGC to put his name on the inserts. In retrospect, I think he would have wanted me to leave them raw.

I like my Turbs raw.

EVP

Then put them in Coin World holders. You get the protection benefits of slabs but they are cheaper, your coins aren't gone for weeks, you don't have to pay the high shipping fees, and since they are openable and reusable your coin can be raw again any time you want it to be then returned to its protective "slab" at no additional cost.

True, but because the Coin World holders ARE openable and reusable, what you don't get is the superior protection from atmospheric contaminants that a sonically sealed holder provides. I know the sonically sealed holders do not provide absolute protection from atmospheric contaminants, but they are far better than any holder that is not sonically sealed.

John

Wonderful collection of coins.

What I don't like is the lighting (or it could be a software adjustment or something else in taking the photographs) used to take the photographs. There was a discussion about the pictures across the street a while back. Something about the photographs gives the coins the look of having been chemically cleaned. The luster and coloration is off. I put a side by side of one of the photographs compared to a picture of I had on file. Does anyone else notice the differences?

Bust Half Comparison

First of all, your collection is inspiring, and probably would look better, visually, the way it is, rather than encumbered in plastic. Actually it's a fantasy of mine to un-holder all of my coins, but I'm too anxed about a lot of things, to do that myself. Anyway, your photography is fantastic. Could you tell me what kind of lighting and camera do you use?