• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would any other Service be successful with a Registry?

15 posts in this topic

ANACS? SEGS? ICG? (PCI?!) Could any other grading service begin a Registry and show success with it? Or, is the Registry concept pretty tapped out with PCGS and NGC?

If, for example, SEGS were to start their own Registry and also allow NGC coins in it, would some of you join and participate?

In all seriousness, I even wonder if their insert seriel numbers make any sense. In other words, I bet Accurgrade doesn't even keep count or record of the coins they grade and the inserts are meaningless drivel.

I do find myself having enough ANACS coins now that if they opened a Registry I'd be able to scrounge enough type to put together the makings of a set.

Pat:

If ANACS started a registry, I bet they would have to accept PCGS and NGC coins. And then if ICG started a registry, they would have to accept PCGS, NGC, and ANACS coins. Presumably if ACG started a registry, they would have to accept every other company's coins....and maybe even raw coins? smile.gif

Mark

P.S. to Pat: Isn't your week's exile from across the street about up???

Thanks Mark, That about answers it!

I'd have to guess that there just isn't anymore spunk in the Registry to support another Service's entry into it.

-Kind of like building another Starbucks a block down from one already in business.

You can only drink so much coffee!

Not only do I think that any other service attempting to start a registry would fail, but I also think that the PCGS/NGC registries are already losing their initial appeal and feeding frenzy stage and have probably already peaked in popularity IMO. Going just by the Morgan dollar sets I've seen in both registries, there are very few sets being added lately (especially serious sets) and very few people making changes or additions to their existing sets as compared to 6-12 months ago.

I would think that the waning popularity of the 'Registry Craze' would not be a good sign on many high priced modern issues, but that's JMO.

Dragon

TDN- The last time I was in Seattle was when "Twin Peaks" was a hit TV show. I stayed at the hotel that was featured on the show. (It rained, of course.)

If the Starbucks there are like they are here- they're very popular hangouts for the slackers and those with their business start-up dreams.

They do have a 'Gingerbread' latte that is tasty though!

That's it.

I loved Seattle. It would be my second choice in an area to live (from what little I know).

I don't mind the rain and the surroundings are stunning!

Neat place.

For operational reasons, I don't think any other service's registry would thrive because: the new registry service would have to allow PCGS and NGC slabs to be popular, but NGC doesn't have an automated serial # lookup service that anyone else can use.

If PCGS disabled their online serial # lookup service, how would Dena, et al, be able to verify your entries?

EVP

If PCGS disabled their online serial # lookup service, how would Dena, et al, be able to verify your entries?

That must be the reason why PCGS doesn't allow NGC coins in their registry. wink.gif

I really like Seatle, as well. I have 3 grown children who live in the Northwest. Where I live in California, the weather is warmer in the summer, but the winters here are pretty wet, as well. From mid-November to mid-April, there is not much difference in the weather here and in Seattle.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in Tacoma, while in the Army. I went to school in Seattle and worked full-time for couple years after the Army. You get used to the weather. The commuting traffic is awful, but I still enjoy Seattle greatly. tongue.gif