• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are ye rebellious wags?

12 posts in this topic

I posted the following on the PCGS site before I remembered that they're only interested in topics related to slabs, toning, and ACG.

How many of us call cents "pennies"? Did you know that this is in direct disobedience to the rules layed down by the Founding Fathers?

Here's how the Journal of the Continental Congress of May 13, 1785, reads:

"It is not of any importance by what Name our Copper Coin is distinguished, but it should have some Name. They are not to be Pence nor half Pence and though they might be of the same Value we should not have such Words in our Language as applicable to our own Money. The French have their Sous and the Dutch their Doits and Stivers; perhaps from the circumstance of our Coin being numbered by Decimals we might call some Piece of Money a Decad--let it be the largest Copper."

So knock it off, you unconstitutional knaves! From now on we will call cents "decads" in common parlance. Anyone who persists in using English terms will be deemed a traitor! mad.gif

If its pre 1900 then it is a cent, if it is post 1900 then it is a penny. WHY????? Could not really say just seems to be the way it is. I have never really heard anyone say Lincoln cent but I have heard Lincoln penny a million times.

A "decad" would be more likely to correspond to a dime, given that the term is supposed to be used in reference to the decimal system. The root of the word is wrong for it to refer to a cent.