• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unsealed TPG Slab

16 posts in this topic

I bought a 1964PR68CAM, PCGS, cent last Thursday. The coin arrived in the mail today and when I went to peel the dealer ID sticker off, the two halves of the slab just fell apart. The slab had never been sonically sealed. The sonic seal director ribs were still intact and only the hermetic slip fit (natural vacuum) was holding the slab halves together. So much for Quality Assurance. As an engineer, I have to ask if they at don't least vacuum cup, pull-test the seal before sending it through to packaging? Apparently, they don't test the seal or maybe they just visually inspect it? Now this coin just cost half of it's price to send it back.

I have seen slabs with errors but never one totally unsealed before. It can happen with Branson Ultrasonic Sealers. Unless you hear the lower harmonic (within human hearing range) squeal from the part being sealed, you don't have any seal. We made a half-million Barbie dolls a day when I worked at Mattel Toys. Inspectors looked at and pulled every seal but we still shipped an occasional unsealed doll, despite the distinct harmonic squeal of the sonic horn or lack thereof. You also have to monitor the compressed, air-pressure for the sealer horn pressure. That is why you need to at least machine, rubber vacuum cup, pull test each one of them. I assume that they are hand loaded into a slide are and then sealed on a single or double station sealing machine or a rotary indexing table maybe. Just speculating how this may have happened.

I think that I would be a little more worried that the dealer may have known of this issue also. Unless he was a trusted dealer of yours, I would be concerned that it is the same coin before sending to PCGS to fix the slab.

I think that I would be a little more worried that the dealer may have known of this issue also. Unless he was a trusted dealer of yours, I would be concerned that it is the same coin before sending to PCGS to fix the slab.
I don't see any good reason to suspect the dealer of anything, here. For one thing, he could have easily (honestly) missed it. And for another, if he was aware of it, he risked a very messy situation/lots of downside in sending it that way.

By the way, when I was a grader at NGC, part of my responsibility was quality control, where I inspected the coins, the grading labels and the holders. I often pulled on or twisted the holders slightly, to help determine whether or not they were actually sealed.

They're sealed one at a time. There are lots of possibilities for how this could get thru. I believe that MadMarty reported getting a coin back unsealed. I've also heard of others getting them back like this. It is rare, but it clearly does happen.

Keep in mind they probably seal 5K-6K a day. I'd be surprised is things like this didn't happen occasionally.

Call PCGS and tell them you'd like them to pay for shipping both ways for fixing this. I bet they'll do it.

Unsealed slabs do occur from time to time, but apparently not very often. I've only seen a few. I have towonder what you paid for the cent. I might have paid as much for the unsealed slab.

I don't see any good reason to suspect the dealer of anything, here. For one thing, he could have easily (honestly) missed it. And for another, if he was aware of it, he risked a very messy situation/lots of downside in sending it that way.

By the way, when I was a grader at NGC, part of my responsibility was quality control, where I inspected the coins, the grading labels and the holders. I often pulled on or twisted the holders slightly, to help determine whether or not they were actually sealed.

Just another side of thought there mark. There are alot of shifty dealers anymore. I wasn't accusing, just bringing up a thought.

This was a dealer that I trust and they responded immediately to send to slab back to them and they will send it to PCGS. The slab halves each have a sealing rib that interlocks with the other half and causes a vacuum between the halves. If PCGS knew how to certify operators, test CpK, qualify and verify air pressure and sealing processes, it would go a long way towards a reliable seal. you can even put a small flourescent bulb next to the seal horn. If the bulb lights all by itself it is sealed.

Visual inspection is only 85% accurate under the best light and training conditions. Test and verify! Pull a soft rubber vacuum cup on both sides slightly and eliminate the visual inspection. This would probably eliminate the problem. I would pay another dollar for a reliable test. What if this had been a $5000. gold coin or something?

The coin cost me over $40. plus $20. for Fedex back to the dealer. I am moving this summer to Oregon, hopefully, and don't want to wait until Christmas to get through PCGS's queue. Then the coin will get lost in the mail.

I just got these coins back last week.

The coins were pulled from us mint rolls but still got SMS.

NGC labeled them wrong.

The D label is on the P coin and P label is on the D Coin.

This also really disappointed me!!! :(

001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

I recently got a slab back from PCGS that has a little piece of plastic rattling around in the obverse side of the coin. I just have not had the time to send it back. It's a pain because they won't pay shipping and shipping both ways will cost another $30. :(

Ok I can wait till I have another order and cut the shipping in half but it will be awhile.

NGC labeled them wrong.

The D label is on the P coin and P label is on the D Coin.

....uhhhh.....he not only said business strikes vs SMS....but labels and coins wrong. :blush:

.....hope the previous items were not also 2005 P & D halves of different grades.. :o ..those might be completely wrong coins....IE : your MS 64 2005 D in the MS66 2005 P labelled holder and somewhere your MS66 coin is actually in that MS64 labelled holder that you cracked open and spent at the coke machine....thought about that? (shrug)

Wonder where under/over graded coins might come from? :devil:

You can send them back to NGC as Label "Mechanical Error" for correction...just call customer service , or take the copy of your invoice to the next coin show where they have a booth and show them . They'll fix it for you . (thumbs u Just don't wait until 5 years down the road , the sooner the better .

This was a dealer that I trust and they responded immediately to send to slab back to them and they will send it to PCGS. .................. I am moving this summer to Oregon........... Then the coin will get lost in the mail.

Nice to have a reliable dealer !

Maybe , have the dealer hold it when it comes back and then call you and determine which address to return it to , when he/she gets it back ?

Your engineering background and experience sure makes your points and questions interesting . Is there a way to automate the 'inspection' so that it wouldn't delay the process ? ....the flourescent bulb thing ?

The way dealers throw and bang slabs around it is a wonder you got the coin and both halfs of the holder.

I think that some dealers play air hockey with slabs in their garage with a concrete floor! I can not believe the condition of even recently slabbed coin from some dealers. I course these are usually the dealers that eat with their mouth open while yelling at their neighbor at shows with food dribbling down their loudly colored, amply bellied, untucked, unkempt shirt tails.