• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Felds 2 1/2$ classic head gold piece

77 posts in this topic

If it was my decision, I would sell off all the bullion and foreign coins to get this one.

It's $1200. If I were to sell of just by $20 liberty, maybe 1 other coin, I would have enough for it!

How much do you think I could sell my PCGS MS62 $20 liberty for?

If it was my decision, I would sell off all the bullion and foreign coins to get this one.

This is a good suggestion. Keep your US gold, as it is usually in more in demand.

This is a good suggestion. Keep your US gold, as it is usually in more in demand.

physics-fan, I don't think I have enough foreign gold to sell to make $1200. I do not mind selling the $20 liberty. I could probably get $900-$925 for it. Then I could sell my angel, ducat, and sovereign if I wanted to to make up the less.

I saw that coin in Mark's NEWP list and liked it then. Sell whatever interests you the least and go for it, I say...Mike

I will. I might take up jtyrks offer. but I need to hear back from mark first. Hopefully he will accept the deal.

Go to the website for the Greysheet and pay the $13.75 to buy the entire Greysheet pack. In this way you will not have to start a thread or send a PM to find out information that is printed in the pack and will not be at the mercy of others when you ask for this favor. Secondly, I don't know how comfortable I would feel if you were to publicly start a thread that essentially begged me to sell you a coin. In other words, I might not sell the coin to you.

Kevin, think this is kind of a private matter between you and Mark. I don't particularly want to read a blow-by-blow of your mental gyrations and painfully multitudinous public discussions about what should be private decisions concerning this or that sale alternative. In the end, you have to decide what to do. Plus, you are putting Mark on the spot publicly, to hold a coin that he could otherwise sell while you may spend months agonizing over what to do and when and how to do it. IMHO, this behavior is poor public form which is taking advantage of Mark's time and money, Kevin.

Just got a PM back from mark.

Needless to say, I am very upset by his reaction. Very upset.

I understand what he is saying, but I am still, very very upset by all of this.

I had a dream last night, a dream that I could buy the coin and put the picture of it in my signature as a new signature.

Below is the PM I sent to Kevin and this will be my last post to this thread.

Hi Kevin,

So you know, I have not received a PM from you since the time you started the thread and indicated you had sent one. That aside, while I wasn't at all upset by it, I didn't think it was appropriate for you to start a thread in that manner, in an attempt to initiate a transaction with me. And there was nothing to be gained from it, either.

Based on the discomfort and stress I have seen you exhibit in a number of your coin purchases, I think it would better better for you and for me if I did not sell the coin to you. I'd rather you be upset with me for not selling a coin to you, than for you to later be upset with yourself for buying one. I hope you understand, and if, for any reason, you wish to post this private message on the forum, within your thread, you have my permission to do so.

Sincerely,

Mark

Below is the PM I sent to Kevin and this will be my last post to this thread.

Hi Kevin,

So you know, I have not received a PM from you since the time you started the thread and indicated you had sent one. That aside, while I wasn't at all upset by it, I didn't think it was appropriate for you to start a thread in that manner, in an attempt to initiate a transaction with me. And there was nothing to be gained from it, either.

Based on the discomfort and stress I have seen you exhibit in a number of your coin purchases, I think it would better better for you and for me if I did not sell the coin to you. I'd rather you be upset with me for not selling a coin to you, than for you to later be upset with yourself for buying one. I hope you understand, and if, for any reason, you wish to post this private message on the forum, within your thread, you have my permission to do so.

Sincerely,

Mark

This is pretty much the position I have taken, also, with respect to the possibility of selling a coin to Kevin. It is not taken in any way due to a dislike of Kevin. Rather, it is due to the starting of threads, which happened to me in the past, too, and the associated angst that seems to occur with every purchase.

Kevin, Mark it not slamming you and I do not believe Mark is angry at you in any manner whatsoever. There comes a point, however, where one has to weigh whether or not they should become involved in a transaction with others. Given the individual history of each board member, the point of decision regarding any transaction will be different. Your history of inner conflict, which accompanies apparently all of your purchases, means that any transaction entered into with you will have some weight attached to it. Mark has made his decision.

Kevin,

Mr. Feld has every right to sell the coin to whomever he chooses. He does make a valid point about your frequent buyer's remorse that you tend to aire here. With that being said, I hope you'll take this as a sign that perhaps you need to step back and bit, buy some books and start reading.

If you don't have it already, perhaps picking up the Krause "Modern Gold Coins, 1800 to present" would be a good one. Study it, learn the nuances of gold coins, the rich history behind them and then choose a field. After doing so, you will be armed with the confidence and knowledge to go bolding into your realm, and then come back to us and show us what you have.

Imagine the joy it would bring you to do this kind of homework and become astute enough to explain to us (or those of us on the World coin forum) the interesting facts about your new gold coin genre. I think in the long run, not only will you grow more as a numismatist, but you'll pick out coins that may hold their value or appreciate better, and be able to represent a strong link to world history.

Doug

This is VERY upsetting to me.

I can't believe this is happening, and that I cannot ever buy a coin from mark in the future. Mark has a great eye, and it really would be a pleasure to own one of his coins. There is no way I could find a good classic head coin like that for the same price. Now I'm stuck with junk common date coins that have no true value.

I asked mark again, and he stands by what he says, he simply will not sell the coin to me. I am literally in tears.

I am quitting coin collecting, selling all my coins, and this is my last post on this forum.

Kevin, that is a symptom of your problem. Your coins did not suddenly instantly become common, no value, junk. Learn to consider your decisions and decide your considerations with some values. Somehow you need to mediate and temper your judgment so that you don't turn on yourself and your own decisions. You are interfering with your enjoyment of life and it's gifts. Try and temper your over-reactions a little.

If you quit, you'll never benefit from the lesson that you just learned.

I know it was just stated, but this point is so profound it is worth repeating, in bold.

No one coin should be worth this kind of aggravation to you, Kevin. The Classic $2.50 gold is not a rare coin. The Classic $5 gold is much harder to find in the higher grades, but it’s not rare either. Other examples will pop up, and from what I saw at the last Baltimore show, the grading has tightened on them a bit.

I know how frustrating it is when you are a young collector on a limited budget. I know when I was young and saw some of the stuff that the old time collectors had its seemed like my day would never come. Yet with patience and time, I’ve put together a really nice type set. It’s not world class or the best, but still good enough to get into the top 10 on the NGC boards.

Sometimes it makes sense to drop back and take a deep breath. When some aspect of collecting becomes too frustrating, the time can come when bowing out is the best solution. I came to that conclusion when I was collecting half cents by die variety. There was little chance that I would ever own the varieties I didn’t have because all of the known in examples were in “strong hands.” And some of the “strong hands” owned multiple examples of the same varieties. After while I just called it quits and moved on to other things where I had a collecting future.

The hobby should be fun; it should not be a source of tension and unhappiness for you.

I am quitting coin collecting, selling all my coins, and this is my last post on this forum.

:hi:

That was my exact same thought, "Bye!"

I like you, Kevin, but you provide way too much drama. Chill, and enjoy life now that you're young and healthy. I think that you need to take an inventory of your life and everyday be grateful in your heart for the good things you have, not the things that you don't.

Another YN used to behave similar to you and had a hard time taking any form of feedback. Yet, he persevered and is now a very respected forum member. The path is your's to choose...

No one coin should be worth this kind of aggravation to you, Kevin. The Classic $2.50 gold is not a rare coin. The Classic $5 gold is much harder to find in the higher grades, but it’s not rare either. Other examples will pop up, and from what I saw at the last Baltimore show, the grading has tightened on them a bit.

I know how frustrating it is when you are a young collector on a limited budget. I know when I was young and saw some of the stuff that the old time collectors had its seemed like my day would never come. Yet with patience and time, I’ve put together a really nice type set. It’s not world class or the best, but still good enough to get into the top 10 on the NGC boards.

Sometimes it makes sense to drop back and take a deep breath. When some aspect of collecting becomes too frustrating, the time can come when bowing out is the best solution. I came to that conclusion when I was collecting half cents by die variety. There was little chance that I would ever own the varieties I didn’t have because all of the known in examples were in “strong hands.” And some of the “strong hands” owned multiple examples of the same varieties. After while I just called it quits and moved on to other things where I had a collecting future.

The hobby should be fun; it should not be a source of tension and unhappiness for you.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

This is VERY upsetting to me.

I can't believe this is happening, and that I cannot ever buy a coin from mark in the future. Mark has a great eye, and it really would be a pleasure to own one of his coins. There is no way I could find a good classic head coin like that for the same price. Now I'm stuck with junk common date coins that have no true value.

I asked mark again, and he stands by what he says, he simply will not sell the coin to me. I am literally in tears.

You know, sometimes a person and a hobby are just not a good match. It's not a personal insult; it's just life. Good luck with future endeavors.

Well, it took him a whole (2) hours to recover from quitting coin collecting (in shame) for life and post ATS! Hard act to follow. I actually felt badly for him on Saturday evening! It seems that his swan song was somewhat premature (or immature).

Well, this didn't last long.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=662319

99% sure it's Kevin.

Yes, that is his new ID on PCGS and I had warned him a few months ago that it was easy to spot who he was over there. I am surprised that he would put this new ID in jeopardy of banning so quickly after this thread.