• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your old gold and modern gold here! *56K Warning! BIG pics

45 posts in this topic

Since I'm such a goldbug, and with anticipation of my $5 liberty which I will be getting any time now, post all your old gold and modern gold on this thread.

This should be fun. Just post your entire gold collection. I'll start out with mine. (I gotta take a picture first, will do tommorrow) In the meantime, I'll post some older pics of all my old and modern gold. (note: I also have another british sovereign , a 1 gram gold bar, and a $5 gold liberty on the way.)

aaaa8.jpg

aaaa9.jpg

GoldCoinsBest.jpg

GoldCoinCollection1.jpg

Allgoldcoins.jpg

MONEYPICKUPSHOW2-1.jpg

WeddingToken1.jpg

Good morning, stinky.

What is the story with the rectangular gold coin in the blue and white cardboard? What is it? Also, the Viet-man "coin". Can you tell us a little about it?

RI Al...curious

Love that Washington gold. I've had my eye on that coin for a while and I have no doubt I'll own one someday soon. :)

Here's some spouses for you all.

59874-2007MarthaWashingtonGold.JPG.98e17c75eaf698ef3b6057be2c63a82c.JPG

59875-2007AbigailAdamsGold.JPG.d2ef2a8e88ab7e90ac74a5fdcf0eb3dc.JPG

59876-2007JeffersonsLibertyGold.JPG.52be269e505371b6347abee84ecf7b8c.JPG

59877-2007WDolleyMadisonPF70UCObverse.JPG.5cc7b18805557d4ee0714a3e9198e8f9.JPG

Also, the Viet-man "coin". Can you tell us a little about it?

He posted the history of it in an earlier post a few weeks ago. I found it very interesting!

Here are the oldest US Gold Coin in the collection. My oldest Classic is a 1923 D Saint Gaudens but no image available. I do have a fews Gold Commemoratives from the 80's but no images.

In the 1970's my father sold at auction in California a 1799 Eagle (large heraldic eagle) and an 1802/1 Half Eagle among others that I sure wish were still part of our collection. I sure would love to have images of each of those coins. :cloud9:

Rey

1843 C Quarter Eagle - MS Details

1843CQuarterEagle.jpg

1843CQuarterEagleRev.jpg

Click on my sig line for my Saint set, I've never taken a picture of all my gold at once, not sure why other than it's all in a safe deposit box and the lighting in those little rooms is horrible for photos!

Just for the fun of photos in the post, here is a Saint I got last week:

1913d20dobv.JPG

1913d20drev.JPG

And here is one of my favorite designed coins, and one of the few gold coins I have around the house here somewhere (I hid it for emergency purpuses, like nuclear war and such, but in my recent move it's apparently become even more hidden!):

1947m50pobv.JPG

1947m50prev.JPG

Certainly this is not all my gold, but it is one of my favorites and is a piece that I have not posted that often, if at all-

M1798P20.jpg

M1798P20R.jpg

Tom,

A very, very nice coin, WOW, thank you for posting it. Can you please elaborate on it, I see that it has 13 stars, trying to find referencing to it.

:cloud9:

Rey

I have well over 100 gold coins in my collection so posting them all here would be a bit too much. Since you are so interested in Classic Head type coins at the moment, here is my best one. It is an 1838-C quarter eagle. I bought this coin raw many years ago and had it slabbed. It is now in a PCGS AU-55 holder. The strike is very sharp with all of Ms. Liberty's hair detail showing. This is actually normal for the 1838-C. Many of these coins have a lint mark on the obverse, but this one does not show that feature.

1838C250O.jpg1838C250R.jpg

Edited to add that the "C" mint mark is double punched. This is normal for the coin because the entire mintage of 7,880 pieces was struck from one die pair. This coin was struck the first year that the Charlotte mint opened for business.

Here is another example of a Classic Head gold coin. It is an 1836, which is the most common date. This coin is in a PCGS MS-62. When I purchased it in 1970 it was graded "virtually Unc." The obverse die is cracked through the middle which resulted in weakness in the center of this coin.

1836QEagleO.jpg1836QEagleR.jpg

Good morning, stinky.

What is the story with the rectangular gold coin in the blue and white cardboard? What is it? Also, the Viet-man "coin". Can you tell us a little about it?

RI Al...curious

How did you know I had that rectangular coin? It isn't in the pictures...

Anyway, its a japanese ingot coin. They were cast ingots made of 22% gold and the rest silver in the 1800's.

The vietnam gold paper ingot is pretty interesting, I think. They were made in vietnam and smuggled out of vietnam in the 80's, they are very thin, called paper ingots, people would roll them up and put them in tissue paper rolls and smuggle them out, or in their shoes. Here's a good article on them:

http://www.usagold.com/gold/coins/kim-thanh.html