• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How's about a Saint Toner? Caution Dialuppers

26 posts in this topic

This gorgeous Saint 1908 No Motto belongs to Jack Kelly, aka Toneddollars. Comments and your toned gold images welcomed.

1908Saintobv_169.jpg

1908Saintrev_176.jpg

I swear that I've seen that coin before. But where? Do you know if it was in Anaconda's inventory for a while? Is it a PCGS MS65 (IIRC?)

I swear that I've seen that coin before. But where? Do you know if it was in Anaconda's inventory for a while? Is it a PCGS MS65 (IIRC?)

I don't know where Jack acquired it, but it is PCGS MS63.

Care to put it in a give-a-way contest??

I'm sure Jack would love to include this in his next give a way. :grin:

I don't know where Jack acquired it, but it is PCGS MS63.

hm

A giveaway, who the heck would want a toned gold twenty?????

I know someone. sam_surprised.gif Nice coin Jack and ole Bob did a mighty fine job. :headbang: (thumbs u

A giveaway, who the heck would want a toned gold twenty?????

I know someone. sam_surprised.gif Nice coin Jack and ole Bob did a mighty fine job. :headbang: (thumbs u

:signfunny:

That is a different coin. I was contemplating buying the coin from Anaconda. When I finally made up my mind to make an offer, it was gone. Here is the photo to refresh your memory.

Picture1565.jpg

Holy cow, I've never seen gold tone like the two pictured in this thread! How does this happen, that is, what is the chemistry behind it? I know silver toning is usually due to silver sulfide, and I know that anything toned on goldl must be some sort of thin film, but how does this happen? Is it due to the copper?

I have decided to revive this thread in order to save my other thread from being permanently hijacked. I have found a wonderful double eagle with obverse and reverse toning and would like to get some opinions regarding originality (AT vs NT).

201857-SDoubleEagle.jpg

Hints of mint green on the obverse and much more pronounced green, pink, and russet on the bottom periphery of the reverse.

Looks legit to me. Nice Coronet double eagle. Nice date, beautiful condition! I would worry about the green copper stain though. IMHO, might be vinyl, hydrogen chloride stain on copper spot?

Is that from the central america? If so, I would put it between AT and NT since it's technically not artificial, but I would hardly call toning from 150 years in salt water natural either.

Is that from the central america? If so, I would put it between AT and NT since it's technically not artificial, but I would hardly call toning from 150 years in salt water natural either.

Oh come on now, the ship wasn't sunk on purpose to get toning on the coin. The bottom of the sea floor just happened to be the coin's storage place. I don't know much about the shipwreck, specifically the depth, but below certain depths, the ocean is not a harsh environment.

20TonedObverseHolder.jpg20TonedReverseHolder.jpg

I agree that being stored underwater for a long time would not be considered AT. Just the process of mother nature acting for 151 years.

How about this fantastic Saint. One day I am going to buy a Saint like this for my Type Set, but I always get side tracked by a phenomenal toned silver, nickel, or copper coin.

20TonedObverse1908-D.jpg20TonedReverse1908-D.jpg