• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1903 S $5 -- Opinions, please.

13 posts in this topic

As most of you know, I'm a type collector but have pretty much avoided type gold, especially now with the price so high.

However, I do have an original, circulated 1811 & 1836 $5 gold piece. So, I find myself collecting five dollar types.

I want all of my gold to be circulated, worn and dirty.

Does this coin meet my criteria? Will it grade? What will it grade?

Thanks for the input.

p.s. I gave $240 for it raw on ebay.

58875-1903S.jpg.989590d9cb0720aa53ffb4c9cdd2fb82.jpg

p.s. I actually won one of these as a door prize at a Hot Springs, AR show 3 years ago but I gave it to my brother since he was so into watching gold panning shows......but he hocked it.

doh!

I like to find them with a little more even color, and a little less gloss. This one looks exceptionally glossy. Maybe it's just the pictures?

Either way, I don't care for how the reverse looks to have a ton more crust than the obverse. $240 isn't a bad price at all, and if you like it, I think you should keep it. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't see anything that would keep the coin out of a slab. Maybe a VF25 or so.

not bad Victor, I would say it's a nice mid-range VF as well. The back might have been laquered at one time, or kept in a wallet touching the leather where the obverse was facing something else. At least that's what it looks like to me.

I'm not much with gold Vic, but it does look VF to me and also I don't see anything that would keep it from slabbing. Nice piece of gold and price too!

Looks about VF30. Common date. Worth a little over melt in this condition. Not worth the expense and trouble of slabbing.

Actually, it is for me since this is the type of type coin I was seeking.

Looks like a decent VF, but I am not one to comment further based on those pics, for they may make the coin look different that what it would be in hand...Gold can be tricky!

Sell it and buy a nice XF45 or AU already in a PCGS slab. The difference in cost will probably be close to what you would pay in grading fees.

Sell it and buy a nice XF45 or AU already in a PCGS slab. The difference in cost will probably be close to what you would pay in grading fees.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

But they are all in slabs that I have seen.