• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1809 crack out...what is it???

20 posts in this topic

I've only had two other coins cracked out of their holders, and I had someone do it for me. I finally got my hands on this coin, and...damn...I went into the toolchest, took my hammer, and ........here it is.....cracked out of it's ANACS holder....

she's a real beauty...no??? (I'm not showing the obverse of the holder which tells you what it is)

58202-1809cracked.JPG.4daa84976438e4fca2fec9d5d164d732.JPG

58203-1809iiiedgedobverse.JPG.2affb8e5c86a5cda15339a5b53711c42.JPG

58204-1809iiiedgereverse.JPG.78ee90529078bfe10db112e92b262593.JPG

58205-1809iiiedgeedge1.JPG.a6d03f8076871a74fb5f6af6a5aa7fc1.JPG

58206-1809edgeedge2.JPG.a5c52e7ed2eec7cbfc97b8d093118b83.JPG

Is that the O-107a, with the experimental edge?

yes indeedie, it's the 107a IIIII edge. A lot of people call it the experimental edge, but Souders contests this in his book, Bust Half Fever.

A really nice pic of the IIIII edge can be found in CoinZip , better than I've ever seen.

She's graded a 55 by ANACS. I suppose they net graded it, because the obverse, to me, is 45-50, and the reverse a 58. Die lapping brought down the obverse relief I believe.

Is that the O-107a, with the experimental edge?

yes indeedie, it's the 107a IIIII edge. A lot of people call it the experimental edge, but Souders contests this in his book, Bust Half Fever.

A really nice pic of the IIIII edge can be found in CoinZip , better than I've ever seen.

She's graded a 55 by ANACS. I suppose they net graded it, because the obverse, to me, is 45-50, and the reverse a 58. Die lapping brought down the obverse relief I believe.

I don't see much wear on the obverse, so AU55 seems fine to me. I don't see anything like cleaning or damage that would have caused them to "net grade" it from an otherwise-higher grade, either.

Absolute beauty, Mike!!!

So many things going on with this coin-I had not seen the IIII edge before. Great pickup.

Jim

PCGS 50 likely. I did notice two tiny cuts on the sides of the shield. I like the look of this one.

I am speechless! I am without speech!

The wear and detail is always tough on these. My 107a has almost no detail on the bust, but nearly full detail on the eagle, and it still has luster! This coin I bet grades 53 at least at PCGS, and they should put the III edge on it, which is not always the case for whatever reason. Whatever it grades, it is worth it. Fantasstisch!

I would have guessed AU-50. This coin is often undergraded by TPGs, though, so I'm surprised ANACS 55ed it, unless the images simply don't show the mint luster very well.

But why bother to nitpick a grade? It's a beautiful coin, period.