• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tall, yet true, story.....

18 posts in this topic

So, here we go.

Round about 1984 or so, I was at a grocery store in San Antonio, Broadway St, HEB. I was at the checkout line and just about to pay when I noticed something strange in the till. At that point I had just started checking out what was in the drawer any time I'd buy something.

Well, turned out the coins were half dollars so I asked the cashier if I could buy them. I told her I'd give her 5 bucks for them. She said she had already sold them to another cashier. The other cashier was next to her and told her to go ahead and sell them to me so I said I'd give her 10 bucks so she and the other cashier could share the money. So, I handed her the money and she handed me the two half dollars along with 9 bucks change. I told her it was ok, she could keep the change. She said, why, it's only a dollar. She also told me that the coins were from an old person that came in and bought some stuff. Crazy!

So, what pray tell were the coins? Well, believe it or not, I still have them and doubt I'll ever sell them as they have to be the coolest coins I've ever purchased at face value. So, checkem out and tell me how you think I made out. They were most likely stolen, but what was I to do, let them fall into someone elses hand?

1858o.jpg

1858r.jpg

1811o.jpg

1811r.jpg

I'll take the you suck as a compliment... and nah, was too far from my house at the time to keep going back.

Sorry yes it is a compliment it is the Official YOU SUCK AWARD

That was a cool find, but Dude, please make you photos smaller in the future so we don't have to scroll back and forth to read your post.

Chris

That was a cool find, but Dude, please make you photos smaller in the future so we don't have to scroll back and forth to read your post.

Chris

I didn't realize they were coming out that big!

Those were a pretty cool find. With most of today's youth and the mentality they have on american coinage, I'm sure if any of them seen these today they would be looking at them and saying, "we don't take fake money".

I LOVE special finds! This is a great story!

I got a "we don't take FOREIGN money at a movie theatre once when I was trying to use KENNEDY HALF DOLLARS. If there is any US coin that looks LESS foreign? I mean it has one of the arguably most popular, if not at least recognizable (and well known) presidents in modern history on one side, and the Presidential Seal on the other side, and has all the words about half dollar, etc. I mean PUH-LEASE. This child had to go get ANOTHER child, who had to get a THIRD child who actually recognized that it was, in fact, an AMERICAN coin. She said "These are half dollars, right? I said yes, nodding. I mean it even says it on there if there is any doubt.

I used to get that many places with Sacagawea dollars, but now that the Presidential dollars are out, MOST people seem to at least recognize them. I like leaving them as tips, and servers seem to remember me because of either the golden dollars or the $2 bills. I will usually write most of the tip onto the credit card, but then just leave that little extra on the table. They of course don't have to report that part. I had one who was so happy about the $2 and saved it because, she told me next time, her daughter's second birthday was the following weekend, and it made a nice gift. Another one had a grandchild who loved the "gold." Fortunately, my credit union has a good supply of the coins, and will order batches of the $2 bills of I want them, so I get fresh ones in sequential order even. I've got some of those put away too, in order. I even had one or two star notes appear in the notes I ordered, that was a find! You just never know.

I use them sometimes after I've gotten a bunch of rolls and searched them for silver. I will return many, but usually keep some either for a tip, or small change buying odds and ends, same with $2 bills.

I am lucky sometimes, I once got an ENTIRE ROLL of silver kennedy halves. Though another time I took $100 and only found 1 or 2, and maybe a 65-70. It can be very hit or miss.

One time I was paying and got a Silver Certificate as change. It was REALLY lucky because I almost NEVER pay with cash, I always always use plastic to get cash back, AND for security, so I don't have cash on me. The silver certificate wasn't in bad shape either, kinda crisp.

Those were a pretty cool find. With most of today's youth and the mentality they have on american coinage, I'm sure if any of them seen these today they would be looking at them and saying, "we don't take fake money".

Pix resized for your enjoyment. Sorry they were so big to begin with.

At first, I thought I was seeing some "buy one, get one free pizzas" lol

This can only happen in Texas at a San Antonio H.E. Butt grocery store. (thumbs u

H.E.B. = Howard Edward Butt

Another Texas man. I spent my formidable years in and around San Antonio, and my wife lived all her life there till I dragged her away. Currently just outside of Fort Worth. Good to see someone who recognizes the HEB brand! They actually called that store GucciB because of all the rich kids that worked there that could care less!

My Mother still lives in the extreme south of Texas and when I would go and visit they always went at least once a week to H.E.B.My Brother is in Victoria.

I remember that they had a good Bakery.

I have looked at many coins for elderly people but they have all been mostly Walking Lib. and Franklin halfs that were well circulated. You really it the jackpot on those coins. The 1811 half is a real find!

She also told me that the coins were from an old person that came in and bought some stuff. Crazy!

They were most likely stolen

These statements don't really add up! Unfortunately, the old person was more likely to have spent what they had set aside. I've known of this happening more than once. Nonetheless, it was good that a collector spotted them - good find.

Hoot