• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the real deal? Double Headed ANACS certified coin

16 posts in this topic

I've never heard of an authenticated double headed coin, but this ebay auction has one, apparently in an old ANACS holder. Is it real, is the holder real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authenticated-and-Cased-Double-Headed-50c-Coin-RARE_W0QQitemZ120254042166QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know. (shrug)

Both the ANACS slabs I own have a barcode beneath the coin info.

I looked on the ANACS site but can't find a coin verification feature.

My Standard Catalog Of World Coins does not mention this "error".

I believe that a few years ago Legend sold a two-headed IHC that was certified by PCGS or NGC and later there was a 1965(?) Washington quarter that was two-headed and was certified by NGC, if I recall correctly. These are very rare errors in US coinage, but I think they might be a little less rare for foreign coinage.

purchased for US $12,000.00

Sold US $4,214.70

Loss US -$7,785.30

Real or not, it looks like they took a real hit on this sale. Course you don't know how truthful anything is on the bay.

Our US Mints now use hubs that are not inter changeable between the reverse dies and obverse dies, they just won't fit into the presses period, so modern day two headed or two tailed coins cannot and should not happen.

Two-headed coins from foreign countries are not nearly as rare as those of US coinage. Same for mules.

Is that even a real ANACS holder? Of course, I can see counterfieting the other 2 TPG slabs, but not ANACS.

I see nothing of note about the slab. Why do you think it might be a counterfeit slab??

Not all old styles of ANACS slabs had bar codes.

Not real familiar with them. Just looked really plain to me. Just wondering.

Two-headed coins from foreign countries are not nearly as rare as those of US coinage. Same for mules.

I guess I learn something new every day. Thanks guys.

Of course, I can see counterfieting the other 2 TPG slabs, but not ANACS.

Counterfeit ANACS slabs have been around since March of 2007. They came before the NGC and PCGS slabs.

This is an earlier style though from before the counterfeit slabs. I can't tell the color of the hologram so I can't narrow it down completely. I'm also not sure if they used barcodes on non-US coins the whole time they did for US or if they came a little later. If they did use them the whole time then this slab dates from the early 1990's

I compared it to a few of the ANACS blues I have and the -script/typing is slightly off......couple that with the fact that he has not had a seller feedback since March of 2007....I wouldn't have a lot of faith in this one....

PS: as a side note, I have done real well on buying ANACS coins for about 50% PCGS auction value...crackout and getting the same or even higher grades for them....the point is that sometimes they come apart evenly and unbroken at the seam..

Does ANACS have a certification # verification ??

OK I've had a chance to look at this on a different computer. The slab is later than I first thought. It has the larger silver gray logos on the back label that were introduced on ANACS 14 beginning in 1997 and it has a the 7 digit serial numbers which I believe first started in 2000. As to the missing bar code, if ANACS used four lines of text on the front label they drop the barcode. I have an example of this in the slabbook where I have a treasureship salvaged cob listed as ANACS 16, and Braddick used to have one he said had the most problems listed. Apparently ANACS was limited to no more than 4 lines so when they go to the fourth line something has to give, and it's the barcode.