• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 NEWP Busties, 3 of the same grade, BUT Which would U prefer?

19 posts in this topic

I am not going to talk, so lets get to the action!

The clean

100_1515.jpg

100_1516.jpg

The slightly dirty

100_1517.jpg

100_1518.jpg

Total crust!

100_1519.jpg

100_1520.jpg

I like the 25' myself Dave. The 34' looks a little washed out to me and the 26' looks to have been re-toned over time probably covering an old cleaning. I know a lot of these old CBH's have all probably seen old cleanings in thier days, but the 25' just looks more original to me.

I like the middle one the best. Don't much care for the last as it is just too dark and the first just doesn't look right.

I prefer them in the order that you presented them.

Rey

:thumbsup: The top one looks dipped or something, the second one looks more original but just doesn't have the look I like. The third one, while a little crustier than I usually prefer, looks very nice.

All three are dipped and retoned. All three are nice looking. My choice would be the '34 since that is a DM (O-110) that I am still in need of.

All three are dipped and retoned. All three are nice looking. My choice would be the '34 since that is a DM (O-110) that I am still in need of.

OK, did you pick up on the variety of the second one?

Yeah, Dave I attributed all 3...(Along with every other bustie I see posted. It's a disease, I think. ;) )Of course, the recut 50 C on the 25 made it simpler than the other two.

Yeah, Dave I attributed all 3...(Along with every other bustie I see posted. It's a disease, I think. ;) )Of course, the recut 50 C on the 25 made it simpler than the other two.

I know what you mean about a sickness. Wanting to get that '25 just because of the recut 50 makes me sound a bit crazy, but Fevers can make you crazy and a Fever is a sign of sickness... :insane:

Without paying any attention to varieties and strictly on the merits of each piece, I would go for the 26. Its got a better overall combination of strike, wear and skin. I was going to pick the 25 but the flat stars just kill that coin for me.

I'll go with #1 from an eye appeal perspective.

#2 has that scratch in front of Ms. Liberty's mouth, which I find distracting.

#3 is a little too dark for my taste.

They are all OK, but I'll take #1.

I'll go with door #3, the 1826. The first coin is a bit too light for my taste and the second one has a few distractions that take away from my viewing enjoyment.

I would select #1-not because of its cleanliness, but because it has neat die cracks on the reverse and less eagle wear-EF49. (thumbs u

Actually all three are beautiful coins. Congrats Dave on your newp's.

Jim

All three coins are graded AU-53.

The first coin is not quite my type, but it actually has no distracting hairlines or bagmarks and decent luster for the grade. Wear is also minimal, so I suspect that it had an old dip long ago, which is likely the main culprit for any missing luster. But the coin must have been relatively clean to begin with because the toning is perfectly even and there is no dirt at all. And the die cracks are rather cool on this R3 coin.

The second coin is the double punched 50C O-111 R3 discussed by Edgar Souders in his book. Someone posted this variety in our Early Half Dollar thread, so the variety was discussed and a link to Edgar's discussion was already posted, therefore I will not go into details here. The distracting scratches are exaggerated by the light. Not as bad in hand, although there are some distracting hairlines above the eagle on the reverse, possibly from a wipe. I bought this one for the variety mainly, but the coin does have a nice strike and some eye appeal.

The third coin is an O-105 R3 that looks as if it spent 150 years in an dank basement. I just like the look of coins that appear to have some interesting history behind them like this. The hairline die cracks are hidden by toning on the obverse, as well as the two pointed protuberances at the top of the cap.

Thanks for your comments guys! I certainly am happy with all three