• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is going on here.....

21 posts in this topic

This is extremely common hazing on proof sets in government holders. Right now it just looks hazy, but there is always the possibility of it turning into nice toning. I'm not entirely sure if these usually develop good toning, or if haziness is as far as it goes.

Appears there may be some color under the haze. I have seen a few with the target toning, but none in person. If you ever decide to get rid of it keep me in mind.

so these would be safe for grading?

Do you mean AT/NT or bodybag for damage? If they develop nice toning, they will be obviously NT, and the TPGS should recognize as such. I don't think they'll bag for hazing, but the grade and value will be limited.

As far as I am concerned it is damage. I don't think this will ever turn into toning because from what I have seen on pieces like this, it seems to actually be some kind of contaminant that has outgassed for the plastic of the holder and then condensed onto the surface of the coin. And then te coin is reacting to that contaminant.

To me they have no eyappeal at all and would be worth a fraction of their value without the hazing. (Acetone normally has little effect on this kind of hazing. It usuall takes a commercial dip to remove it, but I have heard reports that it can be removed with MS70. (I can't confirm that though.)

I have seen modern proof coins turn in the Gov't holders like this due to high storage temperatures and high humidity along with a combination of falling temperatures and raising dew points.

These could have been from a home/storage facility that had no summertime central A/C or environmental controls. Even the environmental conditions along a sea coast can affect stored items. Man, that constant sea breeze can be devastating to just about all metals!

The plastics used to encase the proofs are supposedly inert and they probably are until certain conditions arise which may adversely effect the contents.

Anyway, good luck in trying to save them, usually when they're gone...they're gone!

The plastic may be inert, but wha about any mold slip they use on the injection molds to keep the plastic from sticking to them?

You can try sending them to NCS first. But not sure if they are worth all the cost of having them cleaned then graded.

I don't know what they used back in 1970 for mold slip (teflons were just being introduced) or even if the hard synthesized carbonite plastics of today were even in use 38 years ago?

Good question?

Do you know or does anyone else?

My 1980 proof set had this hazing and the nickel was almost entirely mist-hazy-blue with the concentric colors banded around the quarter and SBA , so I sent the set to NCS . They conserved them and removed all the haze without damage to the coin surfaces , which all graded PF69UC NGC . None of the haze-toning remained , which would probably have BB'd them as environmental damage of some kind.

Not exactly expensive coins , but the set had some sentimental value to me and the NCS fee was not tremendous , rather low actually , probably at the minimum fee structure .

If your proof set coins are not valuable either as sentimental pieces or for trading and selling , then they might not warrant the expense of conservation , unless you perform the work yourself as a practice/learning experiment , or just keep them as they are and see what happens . Proofs are very easy to damage if you dip them in any harsh cleaner , so be careful and keep in mind that different metals (copper vs nickel) need different treatment .

-my 2 cents -John

They're smoked....It is damage and it will never improve or go away.

Proof sets from this era are a dime a dozen. Give it away, throw it away, and just get a new one. As a matter of fact, don't get a new one. This stuff will never be worth the space that it occupies. Just my HU....

Paul

Like most have mentioned, this is haze. Condor is correct as dipping won't remove haze but if the coin was worth it, then NCS would be the step to take. Also, this is not damage to the coin. The fields are uneffected by this and it also does not stop normal toning. It can cost some points though if graded in the condition they are.

Zinc stearate was the mold release of choice for medical products back in 1970's. Don't know what plastic the mint used for proof sets then. Plastic in mint sets might be of PET or other Terpthalate plastic. They are pretty tough.

I don't know why it was for that year, but a great many 1970-S Proof sets developed this type of haze. In most cases the cent was hardest hit coin. I've seen a lot of 1970 sets that had "bad pennies.' The cents seemed to go bad only a few short years after these sets were issued.

I don't think that it's worth the effort to try to fix this. The set is just messed up, and not worth the usual value for that reason.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NCS has a fairly new service that not everyone knows about yet. Modern (1970-) USA and world coins can be submitted to NCS for conservation and NGC grading for a flat fee of $22.50 per coin. It sounds ideal for this situation.

Thanks for that piece of information David (thumbs u , I have some world coins that I've held back on ( with very small enviro probs) ....might be what I'm looking for , for them . hm

now that sounds awsome! thanks. a ncs / ngc combo is a good deal. now is there going to be a non modern combo submit also?