• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm Suprised By This BB

37 posts in this topic

I cracked this coin out of the holder for submission. I didn't see anything wrong with this piece when I inspected it prior to sending it in. The only thing I did was give it an acetone bath to stabilize the surfaces. I just got the image from Phil so I don't know why it bagged. If you play the game, got to take the pain.

1833PCGSBB.jpg

1833halfcentslabobv.jpg

Looks like a nice coin to me. Is there any chance that a spot may have been removed that is small? I have an 1857 Flying Eagle that was BB'ed for a very small spot that was removed by someone before I bought the coin.

Why would you give it an acetone bath "to stabilize the surfaces"? It was in an old, green label PCI holder and was already brown without visible PVC. Copper can be quite sensitive to any solvent treatment and it might be that even a mild acetone bath might have helped to impart an odd color on the coin.

I agree, Greg, with your obverse damage. Just behind the ear is a curl that for a coin in this condition should be complete, but it looks depressed with no form as if it had been hit and flattened. JMO

Jim

Copper can be quite sensitive to any solvent treatment and it might be that even a mild acetone bath might have helped to impart an odd color on the coin.

I've seen several posts on both sides of the street saying how acetone is not harmful and does not react to silver, copper and gold. So those statements are false? Just curious.

I don't know much about copper, but on the reverse above HALF, the color looks a bit different.

Sorry for the bag.

I'm Suprised By This BB

I am too. PCI was really tough at that time.

It took very little for a coin to get the red label.

Acetone can make tiny marks show up more but I don't see that causing this coin to get a BB.

The coin looks OK to me in the PCGS photo, but in the other photo of the coin in the slab, the color looks off as if it has been re-colored - a uniform, deep reddish-brown hue that I have seen on some re-colored copper coins. Of course I don't know how accurate the images are.

I also wonder about what looks to be a scratch under Ms. Liberty's portrait/above the date.

The coin looks OK to me in the PCGS photo, but in the other photo of the coin in the slab, the color looks off as if it has been re-colored - a uniform, deep reddish-brown hue that I have seen on some re-colored copper coins. Of course I don't know how accurate the images are.

I also wonder about what looks to be a scratch under Ms. Liberty's portrait/above the date.

I think your being overly critical Mark.....what do you know about grading coins anyway ;)

Not my area,however, when I look at the coin in the holder it looks like a uniform brown color all around. I look at the coin in the other pictures and some areas are lighter than others.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am surprised anyone bothers to send copper to PCGS anymore. They just cannot grade copper coins consistently or accurately.

I will guess they said the coin was either recolored or has altered surfaces - yet they have let many thousands of much worse coins "slide".

I am suprised you got the photos. I though they were no longer sending the photos when a coin bodybagged. At least thats what they told me when I had a few bodybags. I never got the pics but they did charge me for them. I am still awaiting a refund.

Lee, I'm sorry to hear that, and as James points out, I've seen much worse in PCGS slabs, but this one does look to me like one that I can understand the rationale for being bagged -- altered surfaces (i.e. recolored). Still a nice coin, which is probably show just as well in an airtite or raw, and still quite desireable (just not as desireable as a PCGS MS 64 BN slab if selling it was your goal). Take care...Mike

Coins on the way back; Altered Surface. Still a nice example.

Perhaps you should have held off posting this copper here...will NGC be on the look out for it now? :grin: