• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollar AT/NT & What Grade

22 posts in this topic

I think it's a storage issue as well....50/50 as far as wether it will bag or not but I don't think someone intentionally toned the coin. So NT with an asterisk lol

This falls into a third category for me which I call "accelerated". It's not a chemical or heat job, usually done with placing the coin in an envelope and put into a spot that will speed up the process. I don't care for them but some do.

This coin is not one that I would spend my money to obtain.

Too late Tom, I bought it years ago for my artificially toned 20th century type set in a capital plastics holder. OK, everyone can stop laughing now!

Well at least you know it is AT...

Yeah, I knew. But I don't agree with the grade it is getting on this thread. If this coin had original toning, I think it would have a very good chance of getting MS65. The surfaces are very clean, and the luster is pretty good too. If I thought the toning was original, I would have had it graded along time ago. I'm waiting to get teased for having an artificially toned collection on purpose.

Lehigh, first off, I'd have guessed AT. Second I'd have pointed out that '84-O's can commonly get some nice toning so no need to buy AT. Third I will occaissionally knowingly buy an AT coin if: 1) the coin looks nice, 2) the price is right, e.g. at most a modest premium, and 3) if the coin doesn't commonly come nicely toned.

Of course this is not to say that I haven't also bought AT coins unknowingly at steep markups. I think that any toner collector has, one just hopes to learn what to look out for over time.

Sy,

I have some nice 84-O's, but I bought this coin because although I believe it to be AT, you can see from the thread that not everyone does. It was this type of questionable toned coins that I was looking for to build my set. I rarely find the easily identifiable AT coins attractive and would never buy them. But this coin was interesting to me so I bought it.

What do you think of this 84-O Morgan?

MorganDollar1884-ONGCMS63BinionColl.jpg

I don't have a photo of the reverse, you will just have to trust me that it is an O mint.

AT/NT?

AT/NT?

This one seems to be more clearly AT than the first one, at least to me -- PASS.

AT or NT -- in the end it is what YOU like that really maters...Mike

I bought this coin even though I thought it was AT at the time of purchase. Once I got the coin, I was perplexed. I almost returned it. Then I realized that I was about to return a coin because it might be NT :screwy: The photos don't really look like the actual coin, and the colors in real life make it much more likely that it is NT. The pattern is still very unusual, which is what attracted me more than the color. I don't know much about the Binion provenance or Mr. Binion's collecting methods, I only know that he hoarded thousands of brilliant as well as toned Morgan Dollars. If this coin is infact AT, then I am the proud owner of the finest AT Binion Morgan in existence. :roflmao:

MorganDollar1884-ONGCMS63BinionC-1.jpg

As you guys know, my photographic skills stink, but I will attempt to take a photo that better represents the actual appearance of the coin and post on this thread.

Ok, this is the best I could do with it. This photo looks more like the actual coin, but the blue is still much more vivid in the photo than in reality. The toning is deep and notice how the toning is not on the lettering/stars which is an indicator of natural toning.

MorganDollar1884-ONGCMS63Binion.jpg