• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Many thanks out to Mark Hooten!

22 posts in this topic

He contributed 2 upgrades and 3 new coins to my NGC registry type set. Not only will I treasure these coins because they are fabulous, top of the line type coins but they also came from a man I respect and a friend who I treasure. Thanks, Mark!

1) 1837 no stars dime PCGS 50 -- This coin is the rarest variety, just FYI - an F-101c. Check it out at http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/ I crossed it from ANACS to PCGS.

2) 1838 No Drapery SL quarter PCGS 45 -- Purchased raw and submitted to PCGS.

3) 1840 No Drapery half dime NGC 58 -- Also purchased raw, then sent to NGC.

4) 1836 Bust half NGC 55 -- Purchased so long ago, I don't know what I have into it. Superb toning.

5) 1839 No Drapery half PCGS 55 -- This one's a whopper - Simply the nicest of these I've ever seen.

p.s. I had asked Hoot about purchasing these coins many months ago so don't think that he dissed anyone by selling them to me. (thumbs u

p.s. Read Hoot's description of each coin by clicking on the coin banner in my sigline. It is worth the read. You have the benefit of reading a writeup by a scholar [Mark] and not a redneck [me]. :þ

57015-1837O.jpg.2355fc711508fffcdc0300e0f3aef416.jpg

57016-1837R.jpg.8b8573a7361731867f090f17cf3c250c.jpg

57017-1838O.jpg.150fecfede450a44fc37ab87a4d5fad8.jpg

57018-1838R.jpg.da2883c6e583309f66ba5d80f3adb281.jpg

57019-1840O.jpg.0d299fdd566f344a673aa59475e9a8a1.jpg

57020-1840R.jpg.037c10397a77ccde583b12302843bfd7.jpg

57021-1836Obv.jpg.be55abf454a83e1cc237542f8331a195.jpg

57022-1836Rev.jpg.aeb9260d9a7bf00f50b2948462eb8961.jpg

57023-1839Obv.jpg.ba5f779c9eacd7e447767ba5e432eb4c.jpg

57024-1839Rev.jpg.ec16db4240031637fc8acb9f762092fa.jpg

WOW Victor!!! That's some really attractive material. :golfclap: I can't even figure out which of these is my favorite, as they all are good lookers. You already had a really sweet Type Set. These puppies are gonna' make it that much nicer. Congratulations!

Thanks, guys.

I've been getting an education on the 1839 No Drapery Seated Liberty Half Dollar. It is truly a scarce coin.

Here's Hoot's input on the subject.

The mintage of the no drapery 1839 half is not known, but there are few enough survivors that PCGS and NGC combined have graded less than 300 in all grades. Finding a specimen in high AU or Unc. condition is quite tough, and may require a very long wait for the collector who demands originality.

They are all really great coins, Victor. It's hard to decide which I like best, but the 1839, no drapery half is a treasure! I had no idea that Hoot was sitting on such a hoard of raw coins but it makes sense now that I see them.

Man those are some beautiful coins there Victor. I was gonna pick out a favorite but they all look too good to ignore the others. Very nice!!

I was able to inspect the coins more closely with a loop. the 1839 half looks all there for a 58 grade but, as Hoot speculated, the ink black toning on the wings possibly held it back. Lucky for me 'cause I would not be the owner of the coin if it was slabbed as AU58. This makes this an exceptional coin due to its scarcity and value for the grade on the slab.

I believe that the 1838 no drapery quarter is AU50.

The 1836 half doesn't look like an AU55 to me, though. It has great luster so I assume that it was either a weak strike or is being rewarded for the luster an eye-appeal.

The other coins are all solid for their grades.

Vic,

Nicest grouping of coins I have ever witnessed!!!! What a representation of nineteenth century coinage. You should be very proud. Hoot, you the man!!!!!!

^^ TIMES 5!

Those are some of the nicest Seated coins I've seen in awhile. I love 'em all!

Those are some super coins Victor, and with a fantastic "Hoot" pedigree. :banana:(worship)

That is quite a haul! The 1839 ND half is tough in any original state especially above the F12 grade. It is just a matter of time before you leave me in the dust for out sets. :sorry:

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

That about says it all for me.

Those are some of the nicest Seated coins I've seen in awhile. I love 'em all!

Those are some super coins Victor, and with a fantastic "Hoot" pedigree. :banana:(worship)

Eliasberg? I don't even know the fella.

don't own his pedigree, don't own a Stella.

Garrett, Ford and Norweb, too.

None had coins like the Hootster do.

These five coins have the Hoot pedigree.

They all rock, we all agree.

Thank you mister for the coins I bought.

All are hard to find even when sought.

A new home in my type coin registry.

All sit enthroned as royalty.

My thanks goes to the man called "Hoot".

I really scored big with my bag of loot.

:acclaim:

Not much I can add other than those are some very nice, tremendous coins. Congratulations and who better to obtain the from.

Congratulations.

Rey

He contributed 2 upgrades and 3 new coins to my NGC registry type set. Not only will I treasure these coins because they are fabulous, top of the line type coins but they also came from a man I respect and a friend who I treasure. Thanks, Mark!

1) 1837 no stars dime PCGS 50 -- This coin is the rarest variety, just FYI - an F-101c. Check it out at http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/ I crossed it from ANACS to PCGS.

2) 1838 No Drapery SL quarter PCGS 45 -- Purchased raw and submitted to PCGS.

3) 1840 No Drapery half dime NGC 58 -- Also purchased raw, then sent to NGC.

4) 1836 Bust half NGC 55 -- Purchased so long ago, I don't know what I have into it. Superb toning.

5) 1839 No Drapery half PCGS 55 -- This one's a whopper - Simply the nicest of these I've ever seen.

p.s. I had asked Hoot about purchasing these coins many months ago so don't think that he dissed anyone by selling them to me. (thumbs u

p.s. Read Hoot's description of each coin by clicking on the coin banner in my sigline. It is worth the read. You have the benefit of reading a writeup by a scholar [Mark] and not a redneck [me]. :þ

(thumbs u :cloud9: (thumbs u

Mike King, would you please critique the 1836 half and possibly even the 1839 SL. Thanks, Mike! (thumbs u

Wow Victor! I never knew I had such nice coins! You did a great job on the photos - much nicer than my own. Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad these have such a great new home. Does my heart well.

Hoot