• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on karats (in gold, not diamonds)

16 posts in this topic

Here's a website with a chart of golds purity in karats in percentages.

http://www.gold-coins-shop.com/what-is-a-karat

It says 22 karat is 91.6% gold, would this be 0.917 fine gold?

My question is the difference in gold purity between a british sovereign and a US gold coin. US Gold is made of 90% gold and 10% copper and other metals. So technically US gold wouldn't be 22 karat? or would it be?

It seems like gold sovereigns are more pure gold than US coinage.

I know that all gold ducats are 0.986 fine, which is one of the highest purity gold coins made. APMEX is selling 1928 netherlands ducats for about $5 over melt. That's why I like ducats alot.

Thanks

It says 22 karat is 91.6% gold, would this be 0.917 fine gold?

Yes.....this is a fact. US gold, any 90% pure gold is 21.7 karat.

For example, 14 karat is 14/24 ths pure.....14/24 equals .585. 14 karat is 58.5 %

pure......

Paul

Yes stinky, it's all based on 24 karat being pure, so 22 k is 22/24 or 0.9167 fine, which is the fineness of some early US gold coins, though they were short lived and replaced with coins 0.900 fine, or 21.6 karat (0.9 x 24). Today, the maple leaf and gold buffalo are 24 karat, but the gold American eagle is 22 karat (0.9167 fine), so a 1-oz. AGE actually weight 1.0909 oz. to get the required 1 oz of pure gold contained in the coin.

question on karats

I personally prefer them boiled with a little butter and brown sugar. That's how my mom always made them. I also really like them with a pot roast, and some potatoes, that have been cooking all day so everything is nice and tender.

question on karats

I personally prefer them boiled with a little butter and brown sugar. That's how my mom always made them. I also really like them with a pot roast, and some potatoes, that have been cooking all day so everything is nice and tender.

I think you have your karats a bit mixed up, Stinky was not speaking of these carrots

carrottopII.jpg

Not to be confused with this carrot

carrottop.jpg

or even this carat

karat.jpg

He was refering to the amount of karats in gold, such as

karatmask.jpg

Yes stinky, it's all based on 24 karat being pure, so 22 k is 22/24 or 0.9167 fine, which is the fineness of some early US gold coins, though they were short lived and replaced with coins 0.900 fine, or 21.6 karat (0.9 x 24). Today, the maple leaf and gold buffalo are 24 karat, but the gold American eagle is 22 karat (0.9167 fine), so a 1-oz. AGE actually weight 1.0909 oz. to get the required 1 oz of pure gold contained in the coin.

Thanks, that clears it up. So to convert karats to fineness in the millesimal system (parts per thousand) divide the karat by 24, and to convert to that system into karats multiply the fineness by 24.

According to the calculator 0.9167 gold is a little higher purity than 22 karat , I get 22.0008 karats. Hmm..

Hey physics congratulations on your 2000th post woo hoo :)

Thanks, I didn't even notice I was there. Wow, I feel special.

BTW Woody, when I was in Cairo a few years ago I got to see that mask of King Tut's. The entire second floor of the Cairo museum is all King Tut's stuff, its pretty cool.

speaking of all of the types of Karats, ole' Carrot Top needs to lay off the "juice". Otherwise, he'll be seated next to Barry Bonds at some Congressional hearing trying to explain why he looks freakish!

Stinky, it's all due to rounding, I rounded to 0.9167, it's actually 0.916666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

As for the 14k, it should be 0.583333333333333 fine

I understand karats much better. Thanks for the help everyone.

I have a gold and silver japanese square cast ingot bar from the 1800's, nibu-kin.

It is approximately 22% gold, the rest silver.

How would I convert this percentage to karats?

Thanks

The Federal Trade Commission does not allow anything less than 10K to be called gold since the gold content is so small in relation to the overall content of the item. This rule is to prevent fraud in the jewelry industry.