• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Launches the New Coin Encyclopedia

18 posts in this topic

(Found in my email today)

NGC introduces another great Web resource — the NGC Coin Encyclopedia. With content developed by the NGC Research Department and its director, David W. Lange, the Coin Encyclopedia provides you with new insight and perspective into the histories of your favorite coins.

Coin Encyclopedia

click image to view Web page

Convenient, comprehensive, and completely free, this new online resource provides rich content and stunning imagery for 200 U.S. coin designs and counting. In addition to offering full historical background summaries, reference materials, design information, and more on each coin, the Coin Encyclopedia is illustrated with examples chosen from Photo Proof™ — NGC’s premier coin imaging service. Viewers can quickly examine images from a variety of different grades and dates for every coin type.

Visit the NGC Coin Encyclopedia today and:

• Get the full story behind your favorite coins
  • Browse extensive and detailed photo galleries for rare and beautiful specimens, including obverse and reverse images
  • Expand your knowledge with searchable bibliographies and associated reference materials
  • Look up Mint State and Proof Census Details for every coin
  • Learn more about your coins as we continue to update and expand the Encyclopedia
  • And much, much more

The new NGC Coin Encyclopedia. Just another way that NGC demonstrates its ongoing commitment to giving you the tools and resources you need to get the most out of the hobby.

See for yourself! Visit www.ngccoin.com/research today.

I read the Jefferson nickel section of the NGC Coin Encyclopedia. Very interesting reading. I hope that they will include more of the early circulating coins photos in the furure. They would useful as indentification and diagnostic aids.

Yes, I saw this about a month ago - I think there was a link on the NGC home page or something. I was impressed by the detail accorded to each coin. For example, I think that's the most information in one place that I have ever seen about the 20 cent piece.

As for the NGC Coin Encyclopedia being a good resource, just remember that Dave Lange is the NGC Director of Research--and no, I am not kissing up! :foryou:

You guys like the registry coins gallery of examples?

Hey Arch... I am not exactly sure what you are talking about here?

Scott :hi:

The image gallery in the encyclopedia aggregates images from the registries so you can see a library of examples.

http://www.ngccoin.com/CoinDetail.aspx?ContentID=9&selectedLink=imagegallery

There are some serious glitches in the program. Who or what determines to place a coin in the gallery or not?

No 1796 dimes show although I have one in my registry. My chain cent doesn't show up even though there are but 3 listed.

What gives? (shrug)

i just looked at this and so far it is an excellent resourse with mucho great information

for example if you look at the flowing hair half dimes 1794-95

excelleny to the point information and also with ythe 1794 a really rare date it tells about the die marriages and also the striking charastics and also the high points for wear which is invaluable for someone who is thinking of grading or purshasing an example

:makepoint:much practical useful information not available elsewhere (thumbs u

great job david lange and his team at ngc :applause:

• Administrator
The image gallery in the encyclopedia aggregates images from the registries so you can see a library of examples.

http://www.ngccoin.com/CoinDetail.aspx?ContentID=9&selectedLink=imagegallery

There are some serious glitches in the program. Who or what determines to place a coin in the gallery or not?

No 1796 dimes show although I have one in my registry. My chain cent doesn't show up even though there are but 3 listed.

What gives? (shrug)

NGC only...

It's a bummer that all coins aren't shown, mainly for educational reasons. But still, this site is GREAT! I love it! I just finished reading about the 1873 Arrows half. Great story, great writing, great project!

Thanks!

NGC's answer to Coinfacts.com They both have their good points and I think it's a good idea to keep bookmarks to both of them.