• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have any Cat Eye Toned Morgans to share?

15 posts in this topic

Cat Eye was the term that Sy used. I would say it was because of the shape of the toning resembles a cat's eye. I would be interested to know what factor caused it to tone in that particular pattern. hm

Cat's eye toning is a variant of bag toning. In bag toning often times you will get a toned crescent on one side of a coin. A "cat's eye" toned coin has two opposed crescents with the central area of the coin not toned. These are much rarer than a crescent toned coin because the coins within the bag must be so situated that they allow the crescents to develop while masking the central area.

Here is a really stunning example of the pattern. This is NOT my coin...

11.jpg

Show me more, show me more...

I've always been fascinated with this type of toning. Sy, you have another Morgan, I believe, that shows it beautifully and it is ringed by gorgeous, blue! Now, that's a coin, mister!

Show me more, show me more...

I've always been fascinated with this type of toning. Sy, you have another Morgan, I believe, that shows it beautifully and it is ringed by gorgeous, blue! Now, that's a coin, mister!

Victor, I am pretty sure the coin that Bob posted is the one you are thinking of. Here is another image of it...

1306_64_805_792.jpg

Does this coin qualify? It looks like the bottom crescent ran out of room, but the rim of the coin still gives the brilliant area the cats eye shape.

Morgan1887MS641.jpg