• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is "The coin so rare that only a handful even know it exists"?

39 posts in this topic

My thoughts are that if a coin is really and truly THAT rare, the chances of anyone here knowing about it are incredibly remote. ;)

Regarding the coins which have been mentioned in this thread thus far:

I don't believe in the existence of a 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln cent. Sure, there are have been rumors and claims of their existence over the years, but none have surfaced. And, while it's not a given, odds are quite good that they would have turned up by now.

A 1964 Franklin half? No way. Ditto for a Proof 1910-S VDB cent. I do believe that 1964 Peace Dollars exist, however.

There are many possibilities of such rarity among early Proof coins, classic Proof commemoratives, Patterns, etc.

While still working for Pinnacle Rarities several years ago, I sold a coin which, to my knowledge, is actually UNIQUE, even as a type coin - a Proof Type 1 Three Cent Silver dated 1851, ex-Eliasberg. There have been a few uncertified examples of Type l Three Cent Silvers offered as Proof in auctions over the years, etc., but only that one example has been certified (both by NGC when I was a grader there, as well as by PCGS). Now THAT is a rare coin! ;)

Depending on who is making that statement, it could be numerous different things from a rare die variety/marriage to a common coin or a "Colonial" or a world coin.

Since Larry Shepherd is saying it, I'd guess it is a proof early commemorative. Most collectors have no idea these actually exist since they are so rare and don't come up for auction often.

I have been hearing for (45) years about 1895 non-proof dollars. My dad once owned an AU 1895 Morgan that he bought from Bowers and Merena (pre-PCGS), but it was an AU proof.

My thoughts are that if a coin is really and truly THAT rare, the chances of anyone here knowing about it are incredibly remote. ;)

Regarding the coins which have been mentioned in this thread thus far:

I don't believe in the existence of a 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln cent. Sure, there are have been rumors and claims of their existence over the years, but none have surfaced. And, while it's not a given, odds are quite good that they would have turned up by now.

A 1964 Franklin half? No way. Ditto for a Proof 1910-S VDB cent. I do believe that 1964 Peace Dollars exist, however.

There are many possibilities of such rarity among early Proof coins, classic Proof commemoratives, Patterns, etc.

While still working for Pinnacle Rarities several years ago, I sold a coin which, to my knowledge, is actually UNIQUE, even as a type coin - a Proof Type 1 Three Cent Silver dated 1851, ex-Eliasberg. There have been a few uncertified examples of Type l Three Cent Silvers offered as Proof in auctions over the years, etc., but only that one example has been certified (both by NGC when I was a grader there, as well as by PCGS). Now THAT is a rare coin! ;)

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

1913 Liberty Nickel

1907 wire rim ultra-high relief St. Gaudens $20

Half Union ($50 gold)

Those are certainly very rare coins. However, like many of the other candidates listed in replies on the PCGS forum, clearly more than "only a handful even know" they exist. It's not just how rare the coins are, but how few people know of their existence.

My guess would be a 1910-S VDB Lincoln cent. Some folks claim to have seen one, and I've seen a couple "interesting" candidates myself, but all unconfirmed.

But they are probably speaking of the fictional (in my opinion) 1964 Peace dollar.

What about the 1943 copper Lincoln Cent?
Far more than "only a handful even know it exists". It has been widely publicized for decades.

He's not getting mine!

J1964DN63_Spoof.jpg

CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP

No coin was found matching that search.

Too bad you couldn't fix the cert number too... lol

That and the 1895 business strike morgan are the two I'd most want to own.

I didn't produce the Peace dollar Photoshop work and truly do not recall where I had seen it, but I thought it was cool enough to save.

As for the gold plated JFK; it certainly is a real business strike that someone plated in the aftermarket and is worth at least silver melt.