• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone needing a '37-D 3-Leg Buffalo Nickel have I got one for you!

16 posts in this topic

Checkout this eBay 1937-D 3-Legger Buffalo Nickel. Someone spent some time moving metal around (chasing) and a little soldering as well. Then to cover up this mess he polished the coin. It has already has bids up to over $700.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130207037193

eBay Altered 3-Leg Buffalo

I did send eBay a note about this being a counterfeit piece.

MY giddy ant!! i don't know which upsets me more this abominable shiny faked up coin or that people are willing to pay so much for it ?

:devil:

Checkout this eBay 1937-D 3-Legger Buffalo Nickel. Someone spent some time moving metal around (chasing) and a little soldering as well. Then to cover up this mess he polished the coin. It has already has bids up to over $700.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130207037193

eBay Altered 3-Leg Buffalo

I did send eBay a note about this being a counterfeit piece.

It looks genuine to me.

I agree with Mark and WJ here, I'm not seeing anything that's yelling fake, except for the fact that it's not in a legitimate slab!

I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time. But here goes why I think it is a fake.

Obverse:

1. The die stress on the Indian's neck instead of looking like die stress looks like metal pushed up with something? Stress isn't straight lines?

2. The bumps that should be under the adam's apple looks dug out of the neck to me.

Reverse:

1.The top part of the hoof on the missing leg looks very sharp at the top of it. In fact the whole hoof just sticks up to much?

2.The little bump under the bison isn't a little bump. It looks like a ball of solder!? Anyway it is just to big to me.

3.The field under the bison looks just to bumpy as well.

Then I could be as wrong as can be. One thing I can't figure out though. Why is it bid up to over $1,300.00????????????????

compair.jpg

Here's one opinion...

1. The glob you see in the auction coin is enhanced due to the reflectivity of the whizzed surfaces, it is still evident on other coin.

2. The so-called "steam" or the adage, "If it ain't pissin..." in both coins it is evident.

3. The missing leg...once again the hoof area in the auction coin is enhanced due to reflextive nature and appears to be sculpted. Botth coins display this characteristics.

4. The mottled rear leg appears on both bison's

5. This one you cannot alter. "E PLUIBUS UNIUM" is lifted up and away from the bison's back. On the regular Denver minted coins the "P" sits squarely on the bison back.

Of course, these could both be fakes? Unlikely.

Other coin just picked off an e-bay auction.

I guess the thing that just gets me is how much people are bidding for this mess of a coin while other much nicer looking coins are going without bids!

5. This one you cannot alter. "E PLUIBUS UNIUM" is lifted up and away from the bison's back. On the regular Denver minted coins the "P" sits squarely on the bison back.

I always thought this was because the buffalo on the genuine 3 leg is actually smaller. So, while the motto is the same size, it appears to be further away from the buffalo's back.

Paul

compair.jpg

Here's one opinion...

1. The glob you see in the auction coin is enhanced due to the reflectivity of the whizzed surfaces, it is still evident on other coin.

2. The so-called "steam" or the adage, "If it ain't pissin..." in both coins it is evident.

3. The missing leg...once again the hoof area in the auction coin is enhanced due to reflextive nature and appears to be sculpted. Both coins display this characteristics.

4. The mottled rear leg appears on both bison's

Of course, these could both be fakes? Unlikely.

Other coin just picked off an e-bay auction.

Hi woody i have looked at both your pictures and do you think there is something "not quite right" withe date on the shiny buff especially the seven the top of it seems to be at a strange angle and has a rather large spacing ?

:devil:

Dooly...there is a strong possiblity that what you said about the 7 in the date is different on both coins.

Now think....I know it's hard for me at times, and my eyes do play tricks from time to time....but, there are numerous 1937-D date die pairs for the buffalo nickel series, but only one re-polished die clashed reverse.

So, it would have been possible to have paired different obverses with that 3-legged reverse, at least in therory.

How's that sound guys? (shrug)

PS: Banknote1, my reply was not a slam (at least not intended, may have read like that) just a graphical explaination of my opinion.