• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is why coin dealers are looked at just higher than vermin...

101 posts in this topic

Jeff, please try to put yourself in the position of a seller who, without warning, receives the message below from a successful bidder:

I agreed to purchase a 2008 1-ounce silver libertad from you, and I was expecting to pay the $29.25 + $5.99 shipping, and the invoice incuded an additional charge of $1.60 for insurance. Not one word about this added charge was included in the listing. I have no problem paying an exorbitant premium for this coin as I need it for my collection, however I really resent being nickeled and dimed to death on shipping and insurance. Please advise and I will send you an appropriate check.

Sincerely,

Jeff Tryka

Your use of the words "exorbitant" (which, even if accurate, was not his fault ) and "nickeled and dimed to death" (which was over-kill/unfair, especially since he apparently mentioned insurance in his listing) immediately set the stage for an unpleasant exchange/transaction. Granted, his reply left much to be desired, but I can understand his being defensive and upset, under the circumstances.

Please don't take this to indicate that I am pro-dealer, as I am not. But rather, I am pro-politeness and fairness, regardless of whether the person is a collector or dealer.

No problems, you are all correct, i am just another dumass former collector and the dealer community would be better off without me.

No problems, you are all correct, i am just another dumass former collector and the dealer community would be better off without me.

I don't think anyone thinks that....but I think you should probably log off for the night and get some sleep. Then see how you feel in the morning......jumping on here and making statements like that will have us concerned for you....not upset but simply concerned that something seemingly so small ($1.60) to some of us has gotten you upset enough to sell of your collection and walk away.

Time heals all wounds so in this case.....a little time away from the keyboard....or perhaps hobby might be the best medicine hm

I can understand the seller being pissed. You hit the BIN on a coin and then tell the seller it is exorbitantly priced. Why hit the BIN if this is how you felt?

Shipping was listed in the auction at $5.99, so if you didn't want to be being nickeled and dimed to death on shipping, you shouldn't have bid. While I feel that is excessive, it is listed in the auction. The added charge for insurance is inline with USPS costs.

I'm not saying he is a good seller. Looking at his feedback and Star ratings, I suspect he is not a good person to deal with. However, his shortcomings were easy to see and the auctions suckage clearly stated upfront.

YEAH, I GET IT ALREADY, I AM THE , LET ME MOVE ON TO ANOTHER HOBBY ALREADY.

Jeff, I think you are taking this a little too irrational. It sounds like there may be other issues going on and you should just take a break, sleep on it, and tomorrow will be a new day. We are all friends here and we are not judging or condemning you. take care my friend!!

James, while you are correct in identifying my generalizaiton, it seems that there is some truth to it. After all, when I was much younger, I collected comics, but quit when I met too many scumbag dealers...then I saw the comic guy on the Simpson's and that is exactly what I was dealing with, so it seems that even some truth seeps into the common culture. Although this person was a boor, unfortunately I wish he was the only negative person I've found as a dealer...instead, I've seen many dealers around that make this person look like the norm, hence my generalization...if you don't like it, perhaps you migfht want to mention it to your dealer friends that this is what their customer base is starting to see in them, and they might want to make an effort to change the perception...

Jeff, please take a look around at who gets parodied these days in cartoons, sitcoms and jokes. It isn't just comic dealers, coin dealers, doctors and lawyers. It's everyone in all walks of life. The fact is, our whole society has become filled with rude, obnoxious people. Ever watched how people drive? As if they are the person on the road, and to heck with the safety of others, as long as they get where they want as fast as they want.

I'm sorry you've left the hobby. A coin dealer didn't do this to you, a JERK did.

tryka, i have a 6 page list of people that i dont deal with cause of many reasons, from ship gouging,to 15$ shipping for a pc of paper. i have had many people be rude and ignorent towards me over this awsome hobby.i block them out. please send me info of dealer so i may block him from even joining my site.

also if the seller makes that much money (which i doubt cause of there atitude) he wouldnt need to even charge for shipping. you have traded with me and purchased and i apreciate every bit of the help you have givin.

dealers like this make me sick. i have told one of those down here " be carefull or your customers will close you down." and my fav " ill buy your life"

also isnt there a place that you can let people know on ebay to watch for him? let every1 know and his EARNINGS will fall :P

Jeff -

I am glad I am your friend cause it must suck to be your enemy - BOY - Dude you do get your dander up.

( beathe breathe )

I would take a few days to relax and take a breather from the hobby sounds like you need it.

Do not make rash decisions about your hobby in this 'mentally unyielding' state of mind. You will not think clearly with this 'experience' so fresh in your mind.

Keep in mind you have put yourself in a position to advance this hobby "the Coin Club" so your decision in this matter may effect a lot more people than yourself.

just a few points to ponder ...

A coin dealer didn't do this to you, a JERK did.

Jeff, DON'T sell your collection. The guy was a jerk. Jerks are everywhere, not just coin dealers. Don't let this guy get the best of you. Keep your coins, they've given you a lot of pleasure and will continue to do so. that guy, he's an arsehole. Put yourself above him and continue to develop the collection you've put so much time, money and spirit into. Besides that, you're an avid contributor to this forum, and it would be a loss for the forum if you left it.

A coin dealer didn't do this to you, a JERK did.

Jeff, DON'T sell your collection. The guy was a jerk. Jerks are everywhere, not just coin dealers. Don't let this guy get the best of you. Keep your coins, they've given you a lot of pleasure and will continue to do so. that guy, he's an arsehole. Put yourself above him and continue to develop the collection you've put so much time, money and spirit into. Besides that, you're an avid contributor to this forum, and it would be a loss for the forum if you left it.

(thumbs u

That would be my call.Getting worked up over nothing. I always read the terms and many say Insurance is Mandatory.Some say so much for every $50.00 and some just give a flat insurance isn't offered. Then the seller is a jerk.

I would have written the first one and asked why the Insurance charge as I did nit request it and then responded to the sellers terms. Dont think I would have used the terms "nickel and dimed".

All of this over $1.60 ???? rantrant

Instead of ranting and raving about this I'd just chalk it up to experience and put this dealer on your “do not resuscitate” - I will never do business with them again - list. A buck-sixty seems like a cheap price compared to the times I’ve been burned over the years. The important thing is to learn something from it. I’ve got a few dealers on my “do not resuscitate list.” I see them at shows, and I know it’s a waste of time to look at their inventory for whatever reason (high prices, out to get you if they can, poor service, bad attitude, etc.).

There are so many good dealers and good, reasonable in this industry that there is no need to have to deal with the jerks.

The seller could have avoided the confusion by stating shipping, handling, and insurance in one fixed price. Yet the statement about "insurance required" is hidden in the sales tax section and no amount is given for what this amount would be. Recently, I was charged $33 insurance on a $200 item. While it was stated in the listing, I did not see it - my fault. I got the item below bid anyhow. Be wary of sellers who do not clearly state the costs of shipping, handling, and insurance - some of them can be very tricky.

One thing to consider too - if they are trying to trick you on shipping and insurance - will they ship you the item?

I think the $5.99 he is charging for shipping and handling should have covered insurance too.

The seller could have avoided the confusion by stating shipping, handling, and insurance in one fixed price. Yet the statement about "insurance required" is hidden in the sales tax section and no amount is given for what this amount would be. Recently, I was charged $33 insurance on a $200 item. While it was stated in the listing, I did not see it - my fault. I got the item below bid anyhow. Be wary of sellers who do not clearly state the costs of shipping, handling, and insurance - some of them can be very tricky.

One thing to consider too - if they are trying to trick you on shipping and insurance - will they ship you the item?

I think the $5.99 he is charging for shipping and handling should have covered insurance too.

Yes, I agree. When I quote a shipping price it includes the insurance.

$33 insurance on a $200 item? What a rip-off! :mad: Now that is a dealer acting like scum, and it's darn stupid too. Does he think he's going to get any repreat business when he treats a customer like that?

I would have been a little "taken back" by the message you sent, were I the seller, but that's where the similarities end...I would have handled it much differently. Of course, I would not have charged $5.99 plus insurance for a $30 coin in the first place, so maybe my perspective isn't relevant. I think it's clear, however, this person is not a responsible dealer and I wouldn't let him destroy your hobby. And as others have said, there are jerks in every profession.

Jeff...don't liquidate so fast...I've been where you are. There are tons and tons of conmen and a**holes in this hobby...from the arrogant Know- it- alls, to the ebay scammers, to the nickel and dimers, to the $30 winning auction that costs $48 by the time all the extras are added....inconsistent grading...to the flat out cheats...and it does have a cumulative affect where even $1.75 shipping can be the thing that finally tips the scales....

I am quickly approaching the time of year where I set my collecting to a far back burner. Try just finding additional interests ( for me it's sailing and fishing-I also love my vegetable garden) for the next 6 months...and keep the coin collecting as a seasonal interest....

Just a suggestion to such drastic measures, cause I can tell you brother, I've been where you are.....wondering how big a box (boxes?) I would need to pack up all this stuff and put it away in the attic...or wondering if a nice new Porsche instead of all these little metal discs would give me more pleasure....I'm gonna quit for now before I start seeing the wisdom in your decision....must mean it's time to take my other love outta dry-dock...

54671-ShowLetter.jpg.77a3b47f32f46089237a37ce269f9f01.jpg

Both parties handled the post-auction communication poorly. Though you were the one to instigate the tone of the exchange, the seller could have avoided it entirely with a more clear and thorogh listing and also did not have to raise the stakes.

Both parties handled the post-auction communication poorly. Though you were the one to instigate the tone of the exchange, the seller could have avoided it entirely with a more clear and thorogh listing and also did not have to raise the stakes.

I agree.

TRUTH

All of this over $1.60 ???? rantrant

Instead of ranting and raving about this I'd just chalk it up to experience and put this dealer on your “do not resuscitate” - I will never do business with them again - list. A buck-sixty seems like a cheap price compared to the times I’ve been burned over the years. The important thing is to learn something from it. I’ve got a few dealers on my “do not resuscitate list.” I see them at shows, and I know it’s a waste of time to look at their inventory for whatever reason (high prices, out to get you if they can, poor service, bad attitude, etc.).

There are so many good dealers and good, reasonable in this industry that there is no need to have to deal with the jerks.

(thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u

yes YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sellers can't win on eBay. Embed the Insurance cost in S&H, and you are "padding" the costs. Make insurance optional, and they won't buy it, but if an item is lost in the mail they will file a Paypal chargeback. Make insurance required, and you get complaints like the OP.

Sellers can't win on eBay. Embed the Insurance cost in S&H, and you are "padding" the costs. Make insurance optional, and they won't buy it, but if an item is lost in the mail they will file a Paypal chargeback. Make insurance required, and you get complaints like the OP.

Sellers can win. I solved this problem years ago: "free shipping and insurance" always (except heavy items), and self-insure. I am stunned that more sellers don't implement this simple and liberating policy.

You need to speak for yourself. I always buy the Insurance.I have had a few Sellers that state that "Insurance is not offered". and I have said this many times before .The biggest problem I have and I have said it before is when I pay for Insurance and the Seller does not purchase it.This also happens so it is not always the Buyer.

I ALWAYS purchase insurance when offered and I'll usually ask about it if it's not offered or explicitly stated to be included in the S&H costs.