• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to offer a grade on my new Carson City Morgan?

15 posts in this topic

This just came in the mail today.........How do you like her? What would you grade it? It's raw, and I'll likely submitt it.

The coin has nice luster and hint of toning on the reverse.

I won it for $200, which is pretty decent deal.

JJ

1882cco.jpg

1882ccr.jpg

What I find odd about it is the near total absence of breast feathers on the eagle. It doesn't look right.

Chris

I find the whole coin odd .. However it is probably the pictures as I know where he got it and Her pictures were just as bad ... Tough one to photo maybe ???

Its likely an MS with a somewhat weak strike but very nice fields. Tilt the bottom up a little to find definition in the breast feathers. Above the ear looks weak but check the cotton bolls for any wear. Also the the very tips of the wings. Some AUs can look MS as the tits on the cotton bolls and the wing tips seemed to catch the pocket wear first with everything else looking good. With those deep clear fields I cant believe its not MS.

The lack of detail in the hair above the ear. My guess is strike and not wear but how is that factored in the grade? my guess is 63-64

It looks like an MS65 to me. And that's not even considering the fact that CC's are usually graded a bit more loosely than other Morgan dollar issues. ;)

:golfclap: Even though I don't do grading (I've failed miserably even when I've had the coin in hand), I have to give you (thumbs u (thumbs u for that coin. That's the way I like my Morgans--shiny and looking like silver without a bunch of :censored: color. Regardless of the grade, I would add a coin like that to my collection!! :headbang:

:takeit:

Scott :hi:

I'm gonna go with the 65 here also. There are a few little deep nics on the Obv that may be iffy. I like it though and a nice looking CC!

I'd go with MS-64, although like Trade Dollar Nut, I'd be concerned about the thumbing issue. Our concerns center on the darker area in in the front of Ms. Liberty's face.