• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still another Washie guess the grade

17 posts in this topic

Since Bruce just posted his excellent post on the Washington Quarter strike versus wear, I'd like to post mine to get your opinions. I've put up two images each of the obverse and reverse in case one doesn't show what you need to see.

1943obv574.jpg

1943obv582.jpg

1943rev580.jpg

1943rev581.jpg

I would say a 67 ,except where George cut his neck shaving lol , so I would give it a solid 66

Looks cleaned/whizzed to me net grade UNC (shrug)

Coin does not look cleaned wizzed to me.

First reaction was MS65 and my 2nd reaction was MS65 so... I am going with MS65

My gut reaction was that there was no way this coin is lower than MS66 so I went into your photobucket account to check out the answer. hm

My gut reaction was that there was no way this coin is lower than MS66 so I went into your photobucket account to check out the answer. hm

After doing the same and seeing other angles I would have raised my guess to MS66. I will leave everything else out of it.

Stunning coin Bob. Had i realized it had such dripping lustre, I certainly would have given the coin a Big bump. :applause: (thumbs u

Thanks Irvin,

I had all kinds of problems getting the luster. It would just blow out the picture.

I would have graded it a 66, and agree that the luster changes things. Sweet looking coin and pix Bob! :applause:

While the strike is very good, I think there is a slight weakness and would have graded this 66. I am sure it looks better in hand and deserves the 67 grade. That is probably why they say you can't grade from a photo. :o

This may come as a shock to many folks, but the strike is not weak on this coin. It is simply a function of the original relief and design.

Nice Washie there Bob. I came in late here and was gonna guess MS65. Guess I was wrong. BTW, is that some doubling on the E Pluribus Unum?

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I would have probably graded it at MS65 as well if I had just those first images to go by. The relief show some luster, but the fields don't show at all in those images. At least it does show in the slab shot.

is that some doubling on the E Pluribus Unum?

No Bobby, it's just an artifact from the lighting and shadows.

This may come as a shock to many folks, but the strike is not weak on this coin. It is simply a function of the original relief and design.

I had thought that the weakness on the reverse lettering was due to a weak strike as well. Thanks for clarifying that, Tom.