• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here is an excellent example of what NCS should be used for...

15 posts in this topic

Yep, just dip the coin in a mild acid solution (like EZ-est or Tarnex) and dissolve the oxidized copper off the surfaces. (The dip won't affect the gold) Rinse well with distilled water.

Yep, just dip the coin in a mild acid solution (like EZ-est or Tarnex) and dissolve the oxidized copper off the surfaces. (The dip won't affect the gold) Rinse well with distilled water.

I remember using Tarnex as a kid on Lincolns. It shined them right up and then a few weeks later they looked horrible. Would that not be the case here? Those locations where the spots started still have the improper mixture so I would image that the copper spots would start right back up again.

I remember using Tarnex as a kid on Lincolns. It shined them right up and then a few weeks later they looked horrible. Would that not be the case here? Those locations where the spots started still have the improper mixture so I would image that the copper spots would start right back up again.

That was my first thought also BECOKA... but wouldn't stabilizing the surfaces and encapsulation really delay that process?

Personally, I do not mind copper spots at all. They give me the impression of the originality of a gold coin.

You took the words out of my mouth. I've always liked copper spots. In the case of their showcased twenty, I much prefer the copper spots to the little white spots that replaced them.

Paul

Yep, they took a nice original gold piece and turned it into a dipped white gold piece. Come on, that's what everyone's thinking, I just came out and said it.

They took an ugly POS and turned it into a widget.

I wonder why ugly original coins have such a hard time finding a home with so many people supposedly looking for them. :shrug:

However, the real question is will it get a CAC sticker?

The dealer where I have purchased the bulk of my gold has steered me away from any gold with copper spots. He has always had a more difficult time selling those types of coins, so when committing large sums of cash for gold coins, you are better off buying spotless gold, if you plan on ever being able to sell easily in the future. And you can buy coins that are original, yet spotless without difficulty.

Just some advise that I am passing along from a long time coin dealer. 2c

I have used NCS on occasion with good results. I'm not interested in that coin either way, But though I do not think it looked that bad, I can see why most collectors would prefer to have the spots removed. I would have them removed to improve the resale potential.