• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Presidential Dollars Position A & B

12 posts in this topic

Can anyone shed some light as to why PCGS grades Presidential Dollars with a Pos A&B designation and NGC does no ??? Does NGC grade either position the same ?? Is any one Position type more typical than the other ?? A little confused . Thanks for your help ..

Position A and B refers to the way the lettering was put on the edge right side up or down. There was a 50 50 chance it could be either way so there is no raeson they should be graded different IMO I dont know why PCGS did this.

PCGS probably did this in the hopes it would increase submissions and force people to buy more coins for their registry sets.

I'm glad that NGC does not do this. I've yet to hear anyone say they collect them this way.

PCGS also foolishly (in my opinion) designates the upside down letters as position A and the rightside up letters as position B. Seems to me it should be the other way round. Frankly I agree with NGC and think you should just ignore the positions. After all PCGS doesn't designate position A & B for the bust halves or bust dollars and they come both ways too.

I agree here also. No reason for this grade as there will never be consistency in the lettering anyway. Doesn't increase value and really doesn't make a difference except for the person that collects it.

There are lots of people who are addicted to collecting and if there is a variety set then why not. They are for the most part different and it is easy to collect. I don't think PCGS is making any more or less from A and B positions. It's the dealers selling them.

There are some A & B position coins that have come up as rarer than the other.

Such as...?

There are some A & B position coins that have come up as rarer than the other.

Such as...?

James Madison Position A First Day of Issue MS67

Only a pop 38 of 2486

Represents only 2% of those that actually graded.

Of course that not to say that more won't be graded but for right now, thats where it stands and the numbers are holding.

James Madison Position A First Day of Issue MS67

Only a pop 38 of 2486

Represents only 2% of those that actually graded.

Of course that not to say that more won't be graded but for right now, thats where it stands and the numbers are holding.

And that does not say that there are millions more that won't be graded.

I stand by my assessment that it is a marketing ploy by PCGS to generate interest and income for a purely random "feature" of the striking process.

Scott :hi: