• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Picked this one up this Week! Major Off-Center Large Cent

21 posts in this topic

lol

Nope. It's damaged, and it looks to have verdigris on it.

Did either of you guys notice the reverse? lol

I was looking at the off-center so much that I skipped over the spelling! lol

I remember, years ago, Conder101 showed one of these graded via PCGS with Tooled on the insert on the PCGS Coin forum. Kind of a net graded coin- such as PCGS really dones't do, as a matter of policy.

I believe it belonged (or, still does) to Fred Weinberg.

So, when I stumbled upon this raw example I knew I had to add it to the collection!

The one that Braddick mentioned was an uncirculated 1854 and it was NOT marked tooled on the insert. What it was was a slabbing error. If you looked at the serial number it didn't have a grade after the decimal point. Instead it had the 98 code for an altered coin. It was supposed to have been bodybagged but the put it in a slab by mistake. It doesn't happen often but I have seen a few of them. I do still have the pictures but I won't post them openly. If someone wants to see it PM me and I'll send you a link.

Wow! That's all I can say. Wow!

Okay. I'm back now. I think ANACS is the way to go with this one. I wonder if it could be attributed without the date showing.

I don't believe that ANACS is doing problem coins anymore. At Long Beach I heard they had stopped and ICG had started. And just yesterday I saw a coin ANACS had bodybagged instead of slabbed in a problem coin slab.

Not sure but I saw an ad a few weeks ago. I thought it was ICG. I know it wasn't ANACS , PCGS or NGC.

I will look iy up later or perhaps somebody else here knows but the ad stated either that there was no charge or a maximum $5.00 charge for a bagged coin.

That was ICG, but now that all ex-ANACS people are ICG, they will be doing the problem coin grading instead of ANACS.

ANACS (ex-ICG) people don't like the problem coin grading system and are/have dropped it.

sounds right being they are each others entaty now. so what anacs was doing icg will be doing now and vise versa. so i am going to be using icg from now on .i know they werent the best but now they are prety much anacs :)

sounds right being they are each others entaty now. so what anacs was doing icg will be doing now and vise versa. so i am going to be using icg from now on .i know they werent the best but now they are prety much anacs :)

Exactly. Which is why this was really dumb for ANACS but great for ICG.

Exactly. Which is why this was really dumb for ANACS but great for ICG.
Maybe ANACS will make more money with their new business strategy?