• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Did My Part

27 posts in this topic

to help update the POP Reports. Just sent in eight labels from coins I had cracked out. I've got the address if you want to help too. :)

I gave NGC about 20 tags at the last Baltimre show. I never did check to see if they changes the pops.

I also gave PCGS 44 tags and they "lost" them.

I gave NGC about 20 tags at the last Baltimre show. I never did check to see if they changes the pops.

I assume that if NGC cracks THEIR OWN holders and re-grades, re-holders, or whatever, that they adjust their OWN pop reports?

I mean, I understand that one grading service is unlikely to report to another, but when it's the same service, my hope is that the figures are not skewed by submissions of the same coin that may be sent for conservation, or a new holder or for "Designation Review" -- or what-have-you.

:o

Well, I am sending 61 labels to NGC and 66 to PCGS this weekend.

Dwaine, do you realize how much it cost someone slab almost 130 coins? All that expensive plastic......gone!! :o

Me either. For the coins I buy, it would reduce their marketability. That is, if they are in an NGC, PCGS and possibly ANACS holder. If I was trying to sell a coin that I thought was overgraded, I would simply say so.

I'm curious, Dwaine. What was the reason you cracked most of those coins?

Albums?

Regrade?

something else?

Albums and regrades.

I'm actually surprised that there are this many of you posting who don't do crackouts...especially when an MS65 (for example) may jump from $200 to $2000 as an MS66...if you send in 10 crackouts of 65's and get 2 64's , 7 65's and only 1 66--you still make 500% profit !!!

But know your series and know how strict the TPG's are currently grading...I haven't sent NGC anything older than 50 years old in over a year...they are strict right now...(easily the strictest if you catch the drift)

I have cracked SBA's and Ike's to make sets in Capital holder. Most of them are pretty generic coins and have lost value in recent market.

I wonder if SGS would want thiers back? lol Of course, they're all 70's. Might not do much for thier Pop charts.

It would let them save money on new labels. They could just recycle the labels by placing them on the the next slab.

I wonder if SGS would want thiers back? lol Of course, they're all 70's. Might not do much for thier Pop charts.

It would let them save money on new labels. They could just recycle the labels by placing them on the the next slab.

:signfunny:

OWWwww...I fell off my chair when I read Conders comment . lol

I've only sent in one group for regrade an crossovers as of this post , NGC returned the old labels and I still have the ICG's ...don't think they would want them with the change-over and all an no census (shrug) ....handed the PCGS ones over to a rep at their table at either a Baltimore or a FUN show ...I have not submitted to them, so a bounty for the tags would do me no good , and still have the one or two SEGS labels...didn't wanna bug Larry Briggs with them at a show with his issues with the Bay and their policy thingy going on , maybe later.

NGC did not offer a 'bounty' for the return of their labels back in the day- don't really know the current policy- , but I would hand them over just so they could keep the census updated if I had any of theirs from crack-outs regardless if there was or not.

I guess that I am the bad guy in all of this. Of the probably 75+ PCGS and/or NGC coins that I have de-submitted over the years I have always simply tossed the lable along with the broken plastic.

The population reports have bore no resemblance to reality since the first coin was slabbed (and then immediately cracked out and resubmitted for upgrade ;) )

Don't feel bad , SilverTowne and other bullion buyers at the beginning of the year were melting bucket loads of silver and gold coins in TPG holders bought over the counter and at coin shows , so the AGE and ASE stats are probably about equally useless for the PF/MS69 and below grades , as before .

I would rather hope that the other census data is at least somewhat close , to be used as a loose measuring meter for certain grades and amounts of coins within each series , and you kind of have to skew the key dates and tough date numbers a little anyway , but it is still kinda useful , like a meter, for me.

Well, I got a surprise today in the mail. A check from PCGS for 20 labels I sent in back in March. It was for $10.00.

WooHooo!!! That's like actually waiting the whole 6-8 weeks for a rebate check to come in !! I always forget that I sent them in and when it shows up a month or two later , it's a great surprise , isn't it? 50 cent bounties for used PCGS labels , hmmm , I was just handing them over for free ...should have saved them to pass on to someone more 'rebate' savvy who could convert them into coin buying cash.