• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new Canon scanner can do slabs! Yeah!

16 posts in this topic

My old Canon scanner could do a great job with raw coins, but forget about slabs. I thought only HP scanners were capable of probably scanning depth like slabs. The images of my ICG MS64DMPL dollar from my new Canon 4400F scanner are in the thread called "Whaddya think of this DMPL Morgan". Below are images of a dipped out (lusterless) raw Trade Dollar from the new scanner:

1878-STradeDollar-AU58Cleaned-Obver.jpg1878-STradeDollar-AU58Cleaned-Rever.jpg

I just bought an Epson three in one with the intent of using it to scan coins (I needed the printer anyways, but I got the scanner combo for coins). Overall, I haven't been too happy with it. The pictures for small coins are out of focus. I haven't tried slabs yet (being out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico prevents me from having too much time.) Larger coins are usually alright, and its better than nothing but not much.

Epson sucks for scanning coins. Sorry. Even worse, generally, are the all-in-one combos. HP and Canon are the best ones I've personally seen.

I must beg to differ with this opinion. This is scanned on my $70 Epson V100, just now and unretouched (save downsizing) for the purpose of posting here:

img105a1.jpg

My opinion on Epsons was formed a couple of years ago when I tried out a bunch of them to see if they could do coins and slabs well. None could. Perhaps your was a model that was not being demonstrated or around at the time. Yes, your image does look good. Canon's didn't use to be able to do slabs, at least not the LED versions.

That's a really good picture, Dave. Yeah, mine works pretty good on the larger coins, but how well does yours work on smaller stuff? Say the size of a nickel or smaller?

You decide:

img002c.jpg

img002b.jpg

That was at 300dpi; I can go to 1200dpi with this scanner without having to sharpen in post-processing. Prethen, I wonder if our differing experiences have to do with the scanner software. I used to just acquire images thru Photoshop or the Windows interface, and ended up using the factory Epson Scan software because it allowed me to tweak the scan settings enough to start getting really good images. There's a few hours of experimentation in these results, and the scanner provided pretty crappy results before I started playing with settings.

Those are acceptable results on that dime Dave (which looks like a really nice dime, BTW). Your picture is similar to mine, notice how it looks kind of out of focus? I usually use 600 dpi or the next higher one, because that seems to give the best balance of picture quality, size, and actual file size, and I have been using the Epson software as well. As illustrated in a thread by James not too long ago, the smaller you shrink the size of the picture, the sharper it looks. I guess I just want my picture to fill my 19 inch widescreen, and so it tends to look a little blurry ;)

Actually, it had everything to do with the hardware I was using. Certain scanners are incapable of scanning any depth. In the past, I only found that HP scanners could do any depth at all. However, I must admit that I was only able to test what was available of various brands at the time. This took me by quite a surprise that the new Canon scanners were capable of doing this.

The images from your scanner are actually quite good. The only knock I have and maybe the only downside of a scanner is it's inability to capture luster. Outside of that I would give it a big (thumbs u