• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help from the picture Guru's!!

15 posts in this topic

I'm having problems with taking pics of mu proofs and my camera seems to not want to get out of the way. Any suggestions. Here are 3 pics I tried 3 different ways.

The first with SuperMacro mode

SurperMacroMode.jpg

#2 Done with Macro leneses (4x,2x, &1,), off-center so I could get further away.

Macrolenses.jpg

The third here I tried a Wide Angle Lense which I was hoping the narrow inside would stop this.

Wideanglelense.jpg

Ok shoot me some ideas. Wasn't emphasizing on any light details right now, just the camera issue. Thanks

Great pictures, and Congrats and Getting your Skinny Chickens Before the Extreme Weather Conditions hit. (worship) On the 7th My order went from being on Hold to In process, Because they were suppose to ship that day...Still nothing.(weird it was the same day as the weather conditions being marked, Hopefully they didn't get caught in the tornadoe lol. :pullhair:

I like #2 and #3. :banana:

I appreciate ya'lls comments and Irvin I'll do a black background for ya. I'm still trying to figure out tho' how to get an image with a proof coin that has so much mirror to it without getting my camera body in the pic. In #1 that's my camera lower right of eagle wing, Pic #2 is all around eagle wing and liberty, #3 was a littlw better but still showed up between eagle head and right wing on Reverse.

Here ya go Irvin.

Wideanglelenseblk.jpg

Nice photos!

Drape the camera and lens with black velvet. Cut a hole for the lens to "peek" through. Shade your light source so that stray light does not fall on the camera or lens. Also, increasing the lens to subject distance will reduce the problem.

Thanks RWB. I tried getting further away from the coins by using my macro lenses and that seemed to help some but not all. The wide angle lens seemed to be the best for this as it goes over my original lense but still had a little reflection. I'm not too sure how I can try the drape cover but I may give that a shot. That also made me think of maybe some sort of black cardboard that I could cut to the fit of my lense and use that. Thanks for the ideas!!

The major thing is to get your camera far enough away from the coin that you don't get a reflection. The black velvet thing might help too. Play with your lighting angles to black out the fields and that should help with the reflections too.

Your photos are getting much better! :golfclap: I'm no guru, but I think you'll like the results even more if you move the camrea directly over, and perfectly parallel to, the coin and use a lampshade or other light diffuser -- I find white paper to be even better and more flexible -- to even out the light and remove reflections. You also need more lights. It's tough to light a proof evenly with a single light. The challenge in proofs keeping the light even and adjusting until you have no (or pleasing) reflections. It creates a look like this:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

There are lots of other ways to take proof photos, for instance robec's photo above is very attractive too (and not coincidentally using a diffused light source) and he makes use of the reflections in a very pleasing way to my eye. .

A few more tips on proofs: Move your camera around until the reflection goes away. Use something dark to wrap your camera in if your camera is getting reflections. Take the pic in a dark room. Also, use multiple lights (experiment with 3 or 4).. Experiment with moving lights farther away from the coin on one side, and closer on the other. Lastly, don't overexpose them like the pics in this post. ;)

Mostly you have to play around until you find what works for you.

Hope this helps...Mike

Thanks for the inputs ya'll. Great photos there Bob and Mike. BTW Mike, I have a light that will take shots like your proof pic above that will take out my reflection but my wife usues it right now. I'm using my 2 OTT lights with the room lights off. I appreciate ya'lls help. Thanks!

This is not something I would do to a new camera but there is another way.

If you have a silver body camera and don't mind making it look ugly you can use a black marker to color the front.

This is not something I would do to a new camera but there is another way.

If you have a silver body camera and don't mind making it look ugly you can use a black marker to color the front.

I already did this Larry. I blackend out the canon letters around the edge. I have another light that I used to do proofs with, I'll just have to locate it.