• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

** BATTLE CREEK - TRUTH AND ANSWERS, FINALLY **

16 posts in this topic

The time has come to silence the critics of NGC and the Battle Creek Morgans. The recent threads on this subject have prompted the dealer who bought the bags and submitted them to NGC to authorize full disclosure of the story behind the bags. NGC has revised the original press release with significant new information about the Battle Creek Morgans.

The story contains details that I did not know, or that I had wrong (for example, the bag count for each date). Here is a link to the NGC press release. In addition, photos of all of the original bags, tags and seals are coming.

Many thanks to Mark Salzberg and Scott Schechter of NGC, and to Dennis Steinmetz, who bought the bags from the estate of a collector in a bidding process that was open to a handful of dealers, and who submitted them to NGC, for sharing this information.

LIink to NGC's Revised Press Release

Once and for all, these coins are authentic, original, natural, spectacularly toned Morgan dollars. This new disclosure should help to silence the critics, whose principal complaint was the mystery or lack of information surrounding the origin of these wonderful coins.

Best,

Sunnywood

I for one am certainly pleased to see this question answered. Although I only own two and don't have a substantial stake in this hoard, a few member I know do and I feel very happy for them. I'm also happy for the ones who decided to jump ship and have their BC's recertified in order to have the Battle Creek designation removed from their slabs. Good Move!! lol

I'm also happy for the ones who decided to jump ship and have their BC's recertified in order to have the Battle Creek designation removed from their slabs. Good Move!! lol
That is just Too funny..smilielol.gif

I'm also happy for the ones who decided to jump ship and have their BC's recertified in order to have the Battle Creek designation removed from their slabs. Good Move!! lol
That is just Too funny..smilielol.gif

4_1_219.gifelmer_.gifDid you just shoot yourself in the foot?36_12_6.gif

SW, I'm glad we can now talk about this in the open. I assume you've known who the submitter was for some period of time and the conditions under which the bags were opened. I've known for well over a year, but as it was given to me under a "keep it secret" communication I kept my yap shut.

Victor, I'm glad you like that one... guess who owns it. ;)

I'll be sending it to Bob Campbell sometime in the future for another image of it, but here's another pic of it, (it has a lot more POP in person).

1306_64_805_792.jpg

Oh, and regarding those 10 1904-O's, here IMO is the best one colorwise. It is only a 63, so the obverse is nothing to write home about, but the reverse 'taint too shabby. This image was done by Bob, and I think he did an excellent job.

1904rev908_442_Main.jpg

I just want to get back to a point I mentioned in the most recent spate of BC-itis threads. Collect what makes you happy. At the end of the day that is what coin collecting is all about.

Victor, I'm glad you like that one... guess who owns it. ;)

1306_64_805_792.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]I think this borrowed quote from Shane's thread is in order![/font]

I will take Sy's comments to mean a you suck is in order ^^