• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on this interesting Trade dollar I just picked up off of eBay?

23 posts in this topic

J-1315 through J-1319(Dies 8-D) look like the obverse and reverse-of which the aluminum and white metal(18 and 19) are the most valuable-Should this prove real(as it may very well be) you most likely got your money's worth. Something that does bother me, though, is the difference in the denticles obverse/reverse. They are totally different on this coin(thinner on the reverse) than in the Pattern Pics I am looking at. Still, maybe. Congrats, regardless.

Jim

DSC00001-1.jpg

I hope you won it for the 99c opening bid.

Plus 5.00 postage...

Did I get rooked? Gypped?

Yes. You can get these fake coins for as low as 10c in bag quantity.

Thanks for blowing my buzz!

hmm When they say replica in auction I would assume thats what they mean :)

Here is a real one with a different reverse

52567-lg1.jpg.d0172d2a2b0e305cf4a680c7861d20e1.jpg

52568-lg2.jpg.c84ca029706375d8162d3d1791ca4040.jpg

Counterfeit trade dollar patterns? Never heard of such a thing.

I didn't know about them either, but I knew this "coin" was "bad" as soon as I saw it. It's a less than convincing copy.

Counterfeit trade dollar patterns? Never heard of such a thing.

I didn't know about them either, but I knew this "coin" was "bad" as soon as I saw it. It's a less than convincing copy.

Really? I was totally convinced it was a copy as soon as I saw it!

;)

Shame they didn't select that pattern to coin, Mike. Beautiful example.

Jim

Edited to add:

Here's another Trade Dollar Pattern coin on EBAY

This is where he purchased it!

.30c "pattern" turns into an $80.00+ "coin"

I emailed the link to the high bidder.

10_4_6.gifOH MY :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220200407346

Saw one like it at a coin shop in Montana, raw in a flip and with a price tag of $1950.

Interesting ebay link - 22 bidders bringing it up to $265 and the seller has 100% fav feedback - you wouldn't think......just think how this stuff traded before the internet and slabbed coins.

You may want to check out his NTC MS 65 Peace $

Sold another buyer 5 grains of "palladum$ more valubel than gold$" for $6.50 from this seller. This seller is scary, but so are his buyers! This seller even auctioned a seated half for about $5 and reneged on shipping but only got a neutral feedback in return. Ebay gets more weird with each passing week. As more Chinese junk (not the boat type of junk) saturates Ebay, it will become even more weird. Watch the fun as increasingly more americans sell off the counterfeit money they bought from the chinese!