• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My very FIRST CBH ... Tell me how I did

18 posts in this topic

I decided not too long ago (mostly on a whim) that I really wanted a Bust half. The design is attractive, and so many people here have nice ones, you guys made me jealous. I knew exactly the look I wanted, so, after looking at literally hundreds of halves, I finally decided on this one. It is from Harlan J. Berk, and I have not yet received it. I originally tried to buy one from our favorite Dorito munching dude, but he said the one I picked out had literally been sold hours before I contacted him about it. So, tell me what you think - grade, Overton, price, etc. I will reveal what I paid for it and the sellers grade later (it is raw).

52396-us35137a.jpg.cdc98824f96d4209021bed1a64b8717f.jpg

52397-us35137b.jpg.af89990a00bbb286efd858ce992ef0db.jpg

That coin looks like an O-140 R4. I would say VF-30. Hard to tell much about the coin's surfaces from the pics. Hope you will post nice big ones when you get it. I would value it at around $100. Possibly more for the variety if you get bidders fighting over it.

I'll go with XF40. If the images are true to life, the coin looks to have been lightened in some fashion - it appears lighter than it should be for a circulated piece with that amount of wear and displays the stained/darker areas at the borders.

According to the BHNC this is an R4+ which means that slightly more than 80 examples are known. A Jules reiver specimen VF 35 with around or maybe slightly less wear than yours sold for $195 2 years ago.

That's a fantastic looking circulated bust half! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I love the toning, sharp strike showing an even wear pattern and no nasty marks or nicks. You gotta love it. :cloud9:

If sent in for grading I'd say it'd come back as an XF40, reminds me of my 1839 half in my type set.

I bought it raw as a VF30 and was expecting that grade when it was graded by NGC but it was slabbed as XF40. :grin:

I'll go with XF40. If the images are true to life, the coin looks to have been lightened in some fashion - it appears lighter than it should be for a circulated piece with that amount of wear and displays the stained/darker areas at the borders.

I'd go with Mark here - I was thinking 35-40. Not enough detail for a 45 as some have graded it. For comparison, here's my PCGS XF-45. Overall it's a pretty coin you've got there.

1832-half.jpg

I like it, looks to be around VF-35, as for the variety, I'll defer to MBA101, as this is one of those dates that invariably gives me a throbbing headache when I try to attribute one!

It is indeed O-140; but unlike some of the others I am going to say VF-30. Both of these dies were fresh when this coin was minted and most of this DM are fairly well struck.

Very nice coin, especially for a first bustie (thumbs u

I do not see this one as an XF coin.

That said- I see a very nice VF coin that looks to have had a little TLC along the way.

Images from Harlan J. Berk are sometimes artificially lightened to better see the detail. I would not be surprised if this coin was more conventional looking in hand than it appears in the posted pictures. It has a nice strike, good details and an excellent beginning into the wonderful world of Capped Bust Halves. Congratulations!

Very good on the attribution, guys, that is exactly what Berk said! He had it listed at VF-35, which I agree with. I paid $195 for it, which was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it is exactly the look I wanted and I was willing to pay a little more for the R4. I can't wait to get it in hand, I am very excited about this one. Thanks for all the comments.