• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How brave are you ?

31 posts in this topic

It truly amazes me how you guys can place bids on eBay like drunken sailors and yet won't buy from dealers over the Internet via private treaty. Does it have something to do the mentality that since someone else is bidding it must be OK.

As for this lot, if the coins amounted to anything, they would have been broken upon into individual or smaller lots and sold. They took the time to put the coins in flips and other holders, yet they did not take time to really check them out.

Yea, right, that is an unsearched lot of coins. :screwy:

It truly amazes me how you guys can place bids on eBay like drunken sailors and yet won't buy from dealers over the Internet via private treaty.

That was kind of out of the blue wasn't it Bill ... Two Guys having fun and we are all lumped into a 'bunch' of 'DRUNKIN' buyers not buying from DEALERS.

Come on now .. do you think ANY of my 1883 PROOF set was purchased through an EBAY type Venue ... I think not ... so this comment was a little uncalled for

... of course as always my viewpoint may be wrong but it is my honest opinion ...

Can you tell I am married :)

It seems cool but Bill has a point. If it were truly unsearched then why are the coins in flips?

As far as B.J. not being PC with his post....hey, we sometimes let our defenses slip and say what we actually feel way down deep. :o

I'm not here to be PC. I hate PC becasue it's the excuse to avoid giving hard answers to sensitive questions. I'm here to call them like I see 'em.

It does not make me popular, but at least you know I'm out to BS people.

As for spending money, it's your choice, but 30 pounds here, 40 pounds there, and after a while you have a fair amount tied up in *spoon.*

Frankly I think it's more fun to go through a junk box in a dealer's store and maybe buy a couple of pieces than than buy the whole junk box and then go through it. You don't know how many junky coins there are until you have been through a few junk boxes.

I'm not here to be PC. I'm here to call them like I see 'em.

It does not make me popular, but at least you know I'm out to BS people.

Spot on there bill (thumbs u just as it should be

As for spending money, it's your choice, but 30 pounds here, 40 pounds there, and after a while you have a fair amount tied up in *spoon.*

Frankly I think it's more fun to go through a junk box in a dealer's store and maybe buy a couple of pieces than than buy the whole junk box and then go through it. You don't know how many junky coins there are until you have been through a few junk boxes.

That is all well and good bill but our coin stores do not have any Junk boxes (they ship them to local auction rooms after taking all the silver coins out) and in the Newcastle area we only have one Coin/stamp fair a year.. so unless i buy on ebay or at my local auction i would find very few coins each year.. and if you look at some of my older posts you will see how many None Junky coins i have found in these lots never mind how much of my outlay i have recouped from selling the "junky" coins on eBay. not to mention how much i have learned about coins since i have looked into job lots.

Remember the £180 lot of coins i won which had a flying eagle DDO and a Russian patten in it ? could i have afforded these coins from a "Dealer" NO! Would a "dealer" buy them? Yes

But as i posted before. respect to the no BS. thanks for the comments

dooly :devil:

I wouldn't bid on it--but from the other side, many dealers of bulk world coin lots don't search through the coins with a Krause in hand....they may cherrypick the silver but some nice coins can be found---and on occasion a big $ coin may be in it...

I bought a roll of "circulated "walkers last year....almost all were original AU/BU sliders..including a 1938-D

as they say in the Maryland Lottery ----you gotta play to win !!!

but then again, I've never actually played the lottery so what do I know?

Hi all. i have been watching this lot of coins on eBay this week.

a628_1.jpg

would you be as brave as the highest bidder ? with the photos and information given or could it be shill ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190195019878&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Geez, we've got another fruitcake in the audience! Are you nuts? I guess the seller didn't bother to mention that his grandfather is still alive, but he is serving a life sentence for fraud on the "three strike" law.

Chris

Exactly. As I mentioned earlier there are people bidding $240.00 on Morgan Dollars on Teletrade that can be purchased in various places for $130.00 .

People not only do not check for Value but to think that soembody would sell a group of coins without checking for valuable ones first is beyond comprehension.

Notice that there are no closeups of any of the coins and that the Seller is in England.

There is no free lunch.....box.......period..... and when yhou finally learn that then you can post this to inform the next box lunch eater. This box has been gone through so many times that you will find sandwich crumbs in with the coins from somebody's lunch. Just start your diet today.

I 100% believe it is unsearched. It conforms to all the other unsearched lots I've seen on eBay where an expensive coins mysteriously rises to the top of the pile. In this case, a prooflike 1951 Great Britain Crown in its original case.

I would treat this as a "bulk" purchase. At the current bid you'd be paying $21.84 per pound weight of coins.

That's very expensive!

Gereg: look at the picture again. The coins you've mentioned are sitting in the lid of the box. There are three compartments above them filled with (shrug)

The seller is accepting questions.

I would treat this as a "bulk" purchase. At the current bid you'd be paying $21.84 per pound weight of coins.

That's very expensive!

Bulk foreign trades about $3 wholesale / $8 retail right now, so that is extremely expensive. However, the trunk may be cool.

£255 ($496.56US) with 28 minutes to go.

$26.55/lb lol

ALSO: £60 ($116.91US) shipping to the States.

"Seller's payment instructions

INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS CONTACT ME BEFORE BIDDING AND I WILL TRY TO GET THE CORRECT SHIPPING PRICE FOR YOU AS £60 WAS A ROUGH GUESS,THIS LOT WEIGHS 10kgs WHEN BOX IS INCLUDED."