• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP from my local coin club show last night

27 posts in this topic

I enjoy my local coin club, and we generally have a small auction afterwards. Most of the time, the stuff is a little boring although it is sure fun watching the kids bid against each other. Last night, I was surprised to see a small local dealer bring this in from a recent small coin lot he purchased.

In hand, it has great mirrors to around 8" and nice cameo contrast of the devices. Don't know if NGC would DPL or just PL, but I kinda' like it and enjoyed actually getting a chance to buy something at our monthly meeting ;)

(sorry about the poor photography, these boogers are tough to capture. One set of pics has more light, while the others have a little less light)

DSCN2353.jpg

DSCN2352.jpg

DSCN2355.jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

I picked up an 85o at a pawn shop last year that I thought would dmpl but after looking at yours I think mine is pl at best. Very nice coin and the photos help to showcase it.

I picked up an 85o at a pawn shop last year that I thought would dmpl but after looking at yours I think mine is pl at best. Very nice coin and the photos help to showcase it.

wow, a pawn shop? nice snag! I've often thought of checking some local shops, but felt hesitant as i thought i'd be wasting my time. maybe i should reconsider! I read in Q. David Bowers book on Morgans that the 85-O is a little more elusive in DMPL/DPL than many years and mintmarks, but i don't know if the population reports or market value bears this out. I do think however, that my example may be a little better struck than some i've seen, which seems to be an issue on many New Orleans mint Morgans.

Congrats on your find, and thanks for the comments!

Doug

whoops! i should clarify, as my title is slightly incorrect. I got this from our local coin club MEETING last night. We have a club sponsored show this weekend, so i think i have that on the brain.

:D

Those fields are incredible. By definition a DMPL is 4" (if I remember right) so your's meet the criteria. I'm impressed and I like the coin alot. Good buy!

p.s. In the future would you please type slower 'cause I'm having trouble understanding your accent. lol

p.s. I just looked under the glossary of numismatic terms on this forum but PL and DMPL are not defined.

Could someone please remedy this and list the accurate definitions for these terms. Thanks.

Those fields are incredible. By definition a DMPL is 4" (if I remember right) so your's meet the criteria. I'm impressed and I like the coin alot. Good buy!
Has any TPG ever considered putting the mirror power in inches on their inserts?

wow, a pawn shop? nice snag!

Ahh ... pawn shop.

The few guys I've run into who run those are about as friendly as the dog they lock up in the place at night.

The last time I asked a pawn shop guy if he had any coins for sale, he bit my head off. :makepoint: You would have thought I had shot his dog. hm

thanks for the nice comments guys, I too was pleasantly surprised when this was sitting among some ho-hum Morgans, although the seller knew the approximate value and i didn't get it for a steal. However, no matter if NGC thinks it is worthy of PL or DPL, i'm happy with it and it will stick around (although the latter would be a bonus, huh?!)

thanks guys!

Doug

Bruce Lee picked up a raw uncirculated 1921 Peace Dollar from a pawn shop that has by far the best strike I've ever seen for the year.

Me personally, all coins that I've ever seen in such a setting have been overpriced dogs!

Bruce Lee picked up a raw uncirculated 1921 Peace Dollar from a pawn shop that has by far the best strike I've ever seen for the year.

Me personally, all coins that I've ever seen in such a setting have been overpriced dogs!

To answer this, it was an antique shop, but all the same... Coin in question!

1921.jpg

p.s. I just looked under the glossary of numismatic terms on this forum but PL and DMPL are not defined.

Could someone please remedy this and list the accurate definitions for these terms. Thanks.

EZ E, PL = Proof-Like

DMPL= Deep Mirrored Proof Like

Not real common from the New Orleans mint

San Francisco really slapped the Morgans hard and the S mint coins often show it with deep mirrors. (check a 1881s sometime, they may be the best of the best.)

EZ E, PL = Proof-Like

DMPL= Deep Mirrored Proof Like

Not real common from the New Orleans mint

San Francisco really slapped the Morgans hard and the S mint coins often show it with deep mirrors. (check a 1881s sometime, they may be the best of the best.)

:whatev:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2188520&page=1#Post2188520

To answer this, it was an antique shop, but all the same... Coin in question!

1921.jpg

Wow, great find there Bruce; and monster strike on that one!

congrats!