• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone care to provide me with a grade on this Gold Indian

21 posts in this topic

I'm thrown off by the images. Looking at just the obverse, I would guess that it' might be counterfeit. But on its own, the reverse image doesn't strike me as suspicious. If genuine, I'd go with MS63 as my grade guess.

Could be anywhere from AU58 to MS63, I think I see a slight amount of wear on the indian's headdress, but I could see it easily in a MS62 slab. If that's not wear, then I see nothing holding it back from MS63.

I had Julian look at this coin in hand. He said it was genuine. He indicated between 63-63. My plan is to bring it to the Baltimore show and slab it.
If Julian said it's genuine, I will forget about my initial suspicion regarding the obverse image. And I am glad that I looked at the reverse image too and thought it looked like the real thing. ;)
He indicated between 63-63
Typo? From the images I would be more likely to guess a point above, rather than below MS63, if it's not a 63. Nice looking coin.

Thanks Mark

Julian is one knowledgable man and a fine gentleman.

I was hoping for 64. I know I am getting greedy but I really want it. I think the small nicks on the Reverse will keep it from that though

I agree about Julian. If the obverse is as clean as it appears in the images and the Indian's cheek is rub-free, I don't think that the reverse marks will automatically limit the grade to MS63. Best of luck with it and I hope you will enjoy it, regardless of whatever grade it receives.

Thanks Mark

Julian is one knowledgable man and a fine gentleman.

I was hoping for 64. I know I am getting greedy but I really want it. I think the small nicks on the Reverse will keep it from that though

That's a nice coin RealRaw.

That is a sweet looking Indian, I can't grade this series worth a tinker's damn, so I'll defer to the rest, but my initial feeling was anywhere from AU-58 (looks like wear on the eagles wing) to MS-63 (the obverse looks great!). Nice family heirloom!

Come on Mark! It's only a low R-6 in mint state and a low R-7 in MS-63 per Akers...Sheesh, you'd think it was really rare or something! By the way, I'll trade you 2 1929 quarter eagles for it! That seems fair to me!

Come on Mark! It's only a low R-6 in mint state and a low R-7 in MS-63 per Akers...Sheesh, you'd think it was really rare or something! By the way, I'll trade you 2 1929 quarter eagles for it! That seems fair to me!

Sheesh. So what you are saying is they're pretty common, then, huh? I don't have a price guide handy, what does one of these things run in this sort of grade?