• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Come today, NEWP 1826 CBH

14 posts in this topic

That's a handsome coin. (thumbs u

And yes I've seen pieces with only a little less wear than that one end up on low end Mint State holders. If Ms. Liberty has a bright silvery nose, she is not Unc.

It's a beautiful coin, Dave, but any time I see parallel hairlines like that, I wonder if there was a cleaning somewhere back down the road. Am I wrong to think that, guys?

Actually, the lines are a little too light and scattered to be anything of consequence. The light picks them a little too well in the pics. Hairlines from cleaning have more of a polished look to them and are rather concentrated.

Interesting grade comments guys. PCGS graded this one AU-55. I would say that this coin is graded consistently with my two similar NGC graded CBH's at this level (an 1825 and an 1828, both with similar toning). I mention that because I was most curious to see a PCGS 55 and compare it with an NGC coin. No difference really other than the PCGS coin costs more, and by quite a bit. And it is in fact a common O-102.

Nice coin, I would have said borderline XF/AU, but then again I am not a professional grader and I have a hunch there was quite a bit of luster that did not show up in your photos.