• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN - Newps Arrived - Like Em ?

14 posts in this topic

I do :grin:

I was pretty sure I'd like these when I clicked the button to bid. My pics here aren't the best, but are pretty representative of the coins, except for the Columbus which is far more vibrant pinkish and blue hues in hand. The luster on both coins is very nice. Even with the yellowish hue to the Vermont the luster comes shining through. These will join my other early commems and hopefully be a part of my collection for a long long time.

Related to the purchase here are (as I see them) the:

On The Upside:

The Columbus is nicer than depicted in the HA pictures. There are a couple of "slab dings" which show up in my pics in the right field both OBV and REV which are not on the coin. Lots-O-Luster and a little frost. Beautiful colors.

The Vermont is pretty much just like depicted in the HA pictures. Theirs turned out better than mine. What I thought was "something in the C" was... as many of you said nothing other than toning.

On The Downside:

The Columbus has some slab dings which are a little annoying but not a real problem. Other than that I don't see a downside to it.

The Vermont has one ding on the back of the "Cat" on the REV which I didn't notice before but that is the worst hit on the coin and all in all not too bad.

Thanks for letting me share. Your opinions as always are welcome. Oh BTW in my opinion, I think the coins are properly graded. Although I must admit I haven't seen too many of the Vermonts "in-hand" so I don't really have a good idea of how this one compares to others.

NEQFE-2008CommemsAdded002.jpg

OOOBS-2008CommemsAdded003.jpg

XSMJX-2008CommemsAdded004.jpg

SXCNF-2008CommemsAdded006.jpg

RNBQA-2008CommemsAdded008.jpg

VLYUS-2008CommemsAdded007.jpg

The Columbian looks to have really nice luster and some of that peripheral blue toning that these can be found with while the VT has that classic auburn-green-gold look that these can take on when not dipped to death. I like them both.

Very nice Richard.....I've always said, "If 1000 people wake up tomorrow and decide to collect classic commems, they're going to go to the moon."

Sharp coins !

Paul

Dont get me wrong - I love these two classic commems BUT is it me or are these graded a point too high with all the hits - especially on Columbus' cheek.

Dont get me wrong - I love these two classic commems BUT is it me or are these graded a point too high with all the hits - especially on Columbus' cheek.

I really wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up...

When I first looked at the large pictures before seeing the slabs I mentally graded these coins MS63 and MS64 based on the hits and chatter. The Columian appears to have excellent luster so I could see MS64 on it too. It could be that the large pictures are just making the marks look more severe than they are.

Both are very nice looking coins though.

A couple of points. Perhaps the "hits" have been exaggerated by the photos. If that’s the case, the coins might look better “in hand.”

Even if the “hits” are as shown, I really like the Columbian. It has great luster and a good look. Usually Columbian half dollars are dull from toning or dipping and have no flash. This piece looks nice and fresh, especially if you want to have a coin is essentially “white” in your collection for this type.

The Vermont on the other hand might have a few too many hits to be an MS-65. I’ve sold a number of MS-64 graded coins that had the same or fewer marks, but that was a few years ago before “grade-flation.” Perhaps today this is what you have to except for an MS-65. But I wish things were different.