• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC STAR DESIGNATION EXPANDED...WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

19 posts in this topic

As of Jan 15., NGC expanded its Star designation to include all grades of US coins up to 69, not just 63-69.

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=957

Some people have been pushing for this since the Star designation was first introduced, and I'm wondering what opinions are on it today, now that it has happened. Thoughts anyone?

I don't send coins for grading but I think this is a nice addition of service. I think it also benefits the lower graded coins not only for value, but just the * designation would be nice to know that the coin has an extra eye appeal of some sort.

First, I am one of those who wanted it expanded and I'm glad it has been.

Consistency, as Realone mentioned, is the only current drawback to the Star. And on that note, my only concern with this expansion is that they need to re-define the criteria that will earn a Star; because the current definitions are clearly writen for high grade, MS coins and rally can't be applied to circulated coinage. Setting this expanded definition in writing should go a long way toward establishing consistency.

The way I understand the NGC star system works is that in the opinion of three graders, if the coin exhibits extraordinary eye appeal without being able to move to the next grade then a star is notated for that grade. I do not know about points but cannot imagine why additional points would be given as points are for graded scores only. JMO

I personally think it is a great idea. There are a lot of circulated coins out there with exceptional eye appeal.

On another note --- think of all of the future revenue on encapsulated coins being resubmitted in hopes of becoming a star!

perfectly said. just like when the sae couldnt get a 70 due to some future reason. then the next yr they say" hey we messed up ,we cant see the future, so send those back and we will "maybe" give it a 70".

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

my understanding on the application of the star is that it needs to be approved by the three graders grading the coin if only one does not give the coin a star then it does not get the star

also the coin then needs to go to the finalizer and if all three graders give it the star and the finalizer does not then it does not get a star so it has to be 100% agreed for the star by not only three graders but also the finalizer to get the star

unfortunately i have seen many star coins; the binion coins especially so; that got so many stars and among other coins too! and not only did THEY NOT deserve it but where below average eye appeal to boot NOW OF COURSE GRADING IS SUBJECTIVE AND EVENMORESO THE STAR EYE APPEAL DESIGNATION

i am sure for many coins the star designation is great and are well worth it and i think opening the possibility of the star for any coin USA COIN that ngc holders is a good idea but the star designation is not as meaningful for me as it was 5 years ago and keeps losing steam at least for me in my minds eye based on what i have seen in holders with the star designation

it is a great extra encentive for submitters and of course for ngc companies bottom line these are the two main beneficeries

It's about time! No reason why a lower grade coin can't have exceptional eye appeal.

Now they need to expand it to world coins also!

(thumbs u Like what's-his-name said. ;)

Hoot

The lower grade coin should be eligible for it. There are coins that are especially attractive for the grade. I see two problems, however.

First, there are a lot of circulated coins that have been graded already than can’t benefit from this service without a resubmission.

Second the * will probably result in new columns in the registry point scale for it. I can think of some quite a few other registry point adjustments, that the NGC management has acknowledged need to be addressed, that should get more attention now than more star columns.

but the star designation is not as meaningful for me as it was 5 years ago and keeps losing steam at least for me in my minds eye based on what i have seen in holders with the star designation

you mean like that entire Morgan collection so raved about?

It's about time! No reason why a lower grade coin can't have exceptional eye appeal.

Now they need to expand it to world coins also!

Agree. There are some precious looking circulated & world coins out there.