• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A nice 1818/7 Bust Half

19 posts in this topic

I'm 'upgrading'* my 1818/7 Bust Half, and got this one in the mail, today, from Don Willis. I decided to post this because I think it's a really lovely coin. The overdate is obvious, it's the 'large 8' variety (where the first 8 is larger than the 8 involved in the overdate) which I find kind of exciting (I feel the same way about the large 8 1811 Bust Half, that I had one hell of a time finding, and once I did, they seem to be popping up all over the place).

Surely, I can't give you a photo of this coin as I see it with incandescent lighting, which, at certain angles, allows you to peer through the dove grey toning to see that lovely old silver bluish color with that blush of rose. Very nice. And the wear is pretty well distributed, such that this is not an ugly coin (at least I think). And I find that difficult to find too.

Now, my dream was a higher grade, just because I find these coins get pretty fugly in lower grades, but that's not a rule. Well...someday one may come around and I'll have the moolah to buy it, or, maybe, this one will be just what satisfies my coin hunger.

* by upgrade, I don't necessarily mean increasing the numeric grade of a coin, but, in this case, the upgrade happens to me a slightly higher grade.

I tried to get some closeups of the overdate and the die crack as best I could, so bear with me.

Oh...and I wanted to add, the coins surface has circulation marks, but no evidence of having been wiped whatsoever, the 8 over 7 could have been better if I was able to get the lower part lit better, but I just couldn't do it with such a small distance between the lens and the coin + my impatience. Additionally, you can see, nicely, the notched star from 1817 when Reich was still engraving.

51260-1818_7ObverseAU53.JPG.7e5908aea4d8ca5d2de7f3d56eaffbb5.JPG

51261-1818_7ReverseAU53.JPG.2dbc37127a8adfa4ded1bc7340689680.JPG

51262-18187overdate.JPG.4611fb028541491fb2a8fa8c927c6b30.JPG

51263-18187overdate2.JPG.eade8a4378a99507f1413f8a1bdf932c.JPG

51264-18187diecrack.jpg.3559e3f8bbb7454e4cc9631522802dbd.jpg

Great coin, good description & pictures, too. (thumbs u

Now, I have a question: What is that above the 8/7 that looks like two little feet sticking out of the hair?

Now, I have a question: What is that above the 8/7 that looks like two little feet sticking out of the hair?

Those are clashmarks.

Your coin is truly beautiful. I like how well it is struck overall with terrific star radials, the color looks to be really attractive and the eagle isn't too mushy. It appears to be a real winner.

Those are clashmarks.

doh! If I had taken the time to study the pics, I would have seen that myself! :blush:

Thanks.

Hey Mike,

This one really looks nice.

It has a nice tone in its favor.

It has a nice strike in its favor.

It has a strong grade in its favor.

She is a beautiful example of the variety (thumbs u

That upgrade is a very good move. For those who are curious, go to the early half thread, and near the end is a series of 18/7 posts with his old coin in it.

Great coin, Mike!!! ^^

That upgrade is a very good move. For those who are curious, go to the early half thread, and near the end is a series of 18/7 posts with his old coin in it.

I looked. I didn't find it.

Mike: Nice, about close to original Bustie as you can get!!!

Hunting down and finding a great upgrade is almost as much fun as finding a coin to "fill a hole" in a collection.

...and selling off the now lower grade dupe helps pay for more upgrades.

This "circle of events" can keep your juices flowing and continue to make you feel young.

Regards,

Ed R.

Mike,

Not meaning to be nosy, but what is it again that you prefer between the two coins? Is it just the engraver's notch in the star, the color, the clash marks on the obverse, the strike or a combination of these attributes? As I would be proud to own either coin it is merely for my own interest in asking this. Absolutely, both are beautiful specimens.