• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855 California Gold $0.50 Fractional

15 posts in this topic

I tried posting this on Ask Numismedia but have not had much luck so forgive me if this is this incorrect forum.

I obtained this coin recently from my father and have no reason to doubt it's authenticity but wanted to get some thoughts from some coin collectors (I am more on the sports card side of things). I'm not even sure on the designation of the coin but believe it is either a BG-406 or BG-432 designation based on the NGC census.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated, i.e. value, worth having graded, etc.

Thanks, Adam B.

Scan20187.JPG

Scan20188.JPG

I forget who it is because it's been a while since Fractional gold has come up, but there is someone on these boards that know a little about these. Give it time and he'll show. Welcome Adam.

This round half dollar was made by Joseph Bros. yours look like 1855 in 1852, the first year fractional gold was known to be struck. These brothers were sons of a famous English silversmith, and as jewelers themselves the filled the need for gold rush small change and souvenirs with varieties

try this web site http://www.reisbord.com/goldcalfractionals.htm

The old eyes may be deceiving me, but I believe that is an "N" under the wreath. If so, then it is a Nouizillet piece, possibly BG-434. (406 has 1/2 DOLLAR in the center of the reverse - 432 has a star under the wreath.)

Hope this helps. :)

And welcome! :hi:

Yes, it's worth slabbing. Looks high end AU or possibly mint state. Hard to tell from your pics. The N mintmark indictes it was struck by the San Francisco jeweler Antoine Nouizillet

Thanks for that Link there Tom. I used to have that one until I had to reformat my pc a while back and lost all my stuff.

I like that other link too JustJohn. Thanks for that one.