• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Commems in wooden boxes ...

12 posts in this topic

I've got to admit that I have been bitten by the bug with these things. I've purchased the 1984 Olympic, the 1986 Statue of Liberty and the 1996 Olympic sets in cherry wood boxes for fairly short money. I made the mistake of buying the Constitution set directly from the mint insane.gif, which lost more than half of its issue price. Oh well! I don't mess up that badly that often thank goodness. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think that the presentation enhances the beauty of the coins, and they do make an attractive display. I still don't think much of the "Uncirculated" coins as opposed to the Proofs, but as part of a set they do look rather neat.

Has anyone else gotten interested in these sets? It looks like they are a terminated series because the sales fell way off after a lot of people lost money on them over and over again. tonofbricks.gif Now the mint no longer offers them. In fact starting with the Wright Brothers looks like all multi-coin sets are a thing of the past, which is too bad. frown.gif

I never bought any from the mint, but as I recall, I did buy a set of Mount Rushmore and a set of the Columbus coins in the wood box off eBay, and I think they were priced in the $250-300 range, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I got interested when I saw the prices of the Statue of Liberty coins rise in 1987. I bought the four coin set of Constitution coins and one each of the two coin sets. I also bought a couple of Prestige sets and seven regular proof sets. It was shortly after that I lost interest (and over half my money). I still have all the sets. Maybe my grandkids can get back what I paid the mint for them in about 50 years. foreheadslap.gif

I do like the gold coin but the dollar is not so attractive in MS or proof. I bought very little from the mint after that until my daughter was born in 1999. Since then I've been buying two each of the silver and clad proof sets. At least I've done ok on these.

I just became interested in the classic commems about a year ago but so far the modern ones haven't done much for me, no matter what kind of box they come in. smile.gif

I bought the Constitution 4 coin set in a cherrywood box for $195 aftermarket. Nice set. Sold it for a few $ more than what I paid.

I'm disappointed that the Wright brothers didn't come in the cherrywood box. I hope to get my set in an NGC multiholder, but since those holders were announced, they seem to be on interminable hold. frown.gif

Hoot

In the past few months I have taken a real liking to the modern commems. One of the things I haven't taken a liking to, though, is the mint packaging. It is too bulky. The wooden box sets were even more bulky. I also suspect that some chemical used in the government packaging is affecting the coins over time. I see many of the mint packaged earlier modern commems with haze.

I would like to see the mint ship their commem coins already slabbed.

It's my belief that the modern commems are undervalued, especially some of the post-1994 gold issues. I think that having a larger percentage of the coins in slabs would ignite the market by making the coins more easily stored, shipped and marketed.

Bill -

Like you I am a fan of the Presentation boxes. Just something about them adds a sense of beauty & class to the sets. I hope to one day own them all. I too am quite disappointed that they are no longer offered.

Bill:

I have a casual interest in collecting a set of modern wood box commems, largely because I think a complete set would make a nifty display. The 32 (is that the right number?) 1996 Olympic set has an especially nice box. But I also concur with the thought that perhaps the wood is out-gassing chemicals that harm the coins. I suspect that removing the coins from the wood boxes is probably the best way to store the coins.

I have a related question: Do you, Bill, or does anyone else know what sort of wood boxes the 1982 Olympic coins came in?

Mark

GDJMSP:

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean--it wasn't late last night when I posted but too many REALLY late nights spent working made it seem late to my mind. Anyway, does anyone know what 83/84 Olympic coin sets came in wooden boxes?

Thanks.

Mark

GDJMSP:

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean--it wasn't late last night when I posted but too many REALLY late nights spent working made it seem late to my mind. Anyway, does anyone know what 83/84 Olympic coin sets came in wooden boxes?

Thanks.

Mark

Yes they did, and you can buy a box here: 1984 Olympic Wood Box

I would like to see the mint ship their commem coins already slabbed

I would not to see the coins slabbed from the mint.

First who decides which company would get the work. If it were done on bid, ACG might get it 27_laughing.gif

Second, the mint would probably start charging premiums for better grades. That could get back to point 1. If you are PCGS-only person sleeping.gif do you want to buy something that might not cross and vice versa.

Third I prefer the mint packaging to slabs. For me I get more enjoyment from the containers and papers than the slab plastic alone.

Mark -

For that particular set there were so many options availabe that I am not sure I can accurately answer your question. The $10 gold commems were minted at all of the mints P D S & W. Both the '83 and '84 dollars were minted in UNC & Proof at 3 of the mints - P D S.

But if memory serves me correctly only the 6 coin set and the full gold sets were offered in the presentation boxes.