• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Fun Find From Pocket Change

12 posts in this topic

Although I am not a cherry picker, I do go through pocket change to see what I find. My wife handed a baggie full of change and said that she needed soda money. That means pick out the quarters and fill up the quarter tube so she can buy her daily Coca Cola. I started picking out the quarters and one caught my eye. It was worn but it had a distinct color. I dropped the coins on the desk and heard that distinct "ting." A sound of days gone by. The sound of a silver quarter!

It's a 1964 Washington Quarter, about EF, some luster but it has been circulated. The coin is worth about $2.85 in metals, according to Coinflation.com, which is probably more than its numismatic value! But it does not matter... it was fun to find!!

Scott :hi:

51176-1964-Washington-from-Change.jpg.94418d43a8460604e1534d4c6612e565.jpg

I'm old enough to remember finding the occasional silver coin in my change, but it hasn't happened in about 15 years. Nice to know it's still possible. Great luck finding that one, Scott! :)

That's outstanding. I love finding these and every now and then putting something old in circulation - IHC, buff 5c or some wheaties. My favorite pocket find remains my 1988-P Washington 25c broadstruck.

Hoot

51179-1988-PWash25cbroadstruckfound06-30-2006.JPG.b197238bef2153ab6332aafd3406601f.JPG

Excellent finds! (thumbs u While I haven't found a silver or broadstruck quarter in change, I have found one that appeared to have some type of animal stuck to it. hm

My favorite pocket find remains my 1988-P Washington 25c broadstruck.

Are you sure that's broadstruck and not slightly offcenter? To be a broadstrike the collar die has to be missing but that coin appears to have reeding at 6:00 and 12:00.

My favorite pocket find remains my 1988-P Washington 25c broadstruck.

Are you sure that's broadstruck and not slightly offcenter? To be a broadstrike the collar die has to be missing but that coin appears to have reeding at 6:00 and 12:00.

Actually, the coin is a partial collar from 11 to 2 and 4 to 7 o'clock. The partial was limited to about 0.5 mm toward the reverse edge of the coin; the rest of the edge is smooth. There is no evidence of reeding on the edge from 7 to 11 o'clock (or 2 to 4), thus the asymmetry of the expanded flan (a Blakesley-like effect).

Hoot

I get $50.00 mint bags of lincolns from my bank. I then occasionally go through them looking for treasure. (I know I've got too much time on my hands) Anyway, several years ago I found approximately $4.00 worth of 1964 Roosevelts. You just never know what you will find.