• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A special thanks to the folks at NGC for my award.

14 posts in this topic

I want to extend my thanks to the judges at NGC for awarding my type set (copper, nickel and silver coins, including the moderns) as among the best presented on the registry. I had dreamed of winning this award with my set, but did not think that I would be considered because I had won the award a couple years ago with my early half dime set.

Thanks guys! It's really great to have had my efforts recognized. (thumbs u

You definitely deserved it! Your collection continues to inspire and frustrate all at the same time. I love looking at some of your high grade early type that I know that I will never own but am willing to be educated none the less.

Congrats!

You definitely deserved it! Your collection continues to inspire and frustrate all at the same time. I love looking at some of your high grade early type that I know that I will never own but am willing to be educated none the less.

Congrats!

Back when I was in my 20s, I belonged to the New Jersey Numismatic Society, which was made up of a lot of advanced collectors. I used to think that I too would never own the great stuff they had. But over the years my salary and income went up in general, and I purchased my coins, tokens and medals very carefully. There were years when I would or could only add one or two major pieces a year to my collection.

But after a while the collection started to jell and gain momentum. The prices are pretty nutty right now, and I know that is discouraging. They might not remain there however, and in the coming years, coin prices might not keep up with inflation.

What I’m saying is, if you want an 1804 Dollar or 1913 Liberty nickel, it’s probably hopeless. But a lot of the other stuff might come within reach over time. It certainly happened for me. In a few isolated cases the great coins and tokens that some of those collectors had who belonged to the New Jersey Numismatic Society came into my collection. AND in a couple of cases someone else bought those pieces at a major auction at high prices and took a bath on them.

For example one scarce Andrew Jackson political token sold for $1,650.00 at a major New York auction. Years later I bought the same piece for $350.00. Which price was right? Well some people have more money than brains. And other people study hard and learn when to pull the trigger. Knowledge can partially make up for a smaller pocketbook. And it can help you from making some really BIG MISTAKES.