• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't it an irony...

11 posts in this topic

...that the eagle on the new proof platinum coins is a peacetime eagle? Watchful and protective (in front of the flag), but not in flight or with wings spread or shielded, and with no talons gripping fasces of war or arrows. An eagle on a pine branch, it is. It simply strikes me odd that this theme would be chosen at a time of war and military unrest, especially with the history of eagle patterns in U.S. coinage. What do you think?

Hoot

589a8b3cc9a21_279619-2003platinum100.jpg.dd29265f93f251dfca0a59888f73ec8d.jpg

I think the vast majority of Americans either don't support the war, or support it as a means of arriving at peace and security in the not too distant future.

That is to say, most of us want peace as the end game.

Perhaps the poised and vigilant eagle really is appropriate, in spite of our current state of military activity.

EVP

What military activity? Didn't someone declare that the war was over? wink.gif

Let's leave these discussions for the Water Cooler where who can sream the loudest wins, but "major combat was declared over", not the war.

I believe you are reading too much into the Mint's motivation on this issue. After all, the Mint, and federal government by extension, would have to be somewhat observant, knowledgable, responsive, caring and in tune with its history to even contemplate what you are writing about.

Dang it, Hoot! What were you thinking! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I believe you are reading too much into the Mint's motivation on this issue. After all, the Mint, and federal government by extension, would have to be somewhat observant, knowledgable, responsive, caring and in tune with its history to even contemplate what you are writing about.

Dang it, Hoot! What were you thinking! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

God Almighty, I don't know... sorry.gif

tonofbricks.gif Hoot tonofbricks.gif

angel.gif

...that the eagle on the new proof platinum coins is a peacetime eagle? Watchful and protective (in front of the flag), but not in flight or with wings spread or shielded, and with no talons gripping fasces of war or arrows. An eagle on a pine branch, it is. It simply strikes me odd that this theme would be chosen at a time of war and military unrest, especially with the history of eagle patterns in U.S. coinage. What do you think?

Hoot

Interesting point! It makes one wonder who actually decides what eagle type will appear? Does the designer/engraver just abitrarily choose what stance the eagle takes or is there some underhanded, esoteric, conspiratorial oligarchy making the call? Maybe the designs are arbitrary or, then again, maybe there is some type of subliminal political manipulation going on?

I recall awhile back an article in CW or NN about the new $20. The eagle was in an agessive posture. (Assuming it was flying toward you. They weren't sure that was the case because they only had the picture and not the bill to examine.)

Here's a cool link from BEP

Hoot,

I think you are reading way too much into the mint's decisions. I personally doubt that most mint employees really have any clue as to the symbolism embedded in our coins, much less orchestrated any real meaning into them. All they know is that the law Congress passed requires and eagle on the back, so they put an eagle on the back. Having to change the reverse on the platinum every year also makes a difference, as they probably ran out of ideas, and decided to put a nice picture of an eagle sitting in a tree in a national park on the back. After all, we like nature, and national parks, so this would be a good reverse design.