• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ld prefer one with enclosed draweresLooking for a coin cabinet

10 posts in this topic

I have looked and looked. Found a couple very nice homemade one's on ebay for about $5000.00. You may have to look somewhere like Hobby Lobby and customize one of thiers. I've been thinking of building one for myself, but using good lumber would cost around $500 for that. One day!

I have looked and looked. Found a couple very nice homemade one's on ebay for about $5000.00. You may have to look somewhere like Hobby Lobby and customize one of theirs. I've been thinking of building one for myself, but using good lumber would cost around $500 for that. One day!
I think a search of the archives will show a few posts about this subject... I believe there was some discussion about harmful vapors from the wood and what it did to coins.

I think there may be an issue with high vapor wood such as cedar or so, but I don't think there would be much of a problem if the cabinet was made of a hardwood such as maple or walnut.

Quit looking for coin cabinets and search for map, gasket, art cabinets-far more reasonably priced-you then can line them or add dividers as you feel needed. Here is a web page I have been considering-size your option. JMO. Good luck.

Oak map cabinets

This is what I use, it was formerly a silver chest. All the drawers had removable dividers for flatware. Not sure how many it will hold, but it's a bunch. It's actuyally just four full width drawers.

coincabinet.jpg

That's a nice cabinet also. I need to change mine one day. I use an old converted computer desk drawer section and a metal filing cabinet right now. I'd like something tho' that looks nice.